Non-Nikon manual focus lenses - Part II

Just picked up a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm. I've used manual glass in the past but I typically stick to autos for professional work. Looking forward to exploring manual focusing with the Voigtlander.

This one at f/2 and 1/100
View attachment 1651953
Congrats on the Voight--they make some beautiful glass--& thanks for the nice pic. Hoping to see more from you! Best jt

I have several Vivitar-branded lenses which I enjoy shooting with--this 55mm is one of them & it gets 1:1 macro on its own. jt
DSC_3111.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_6562A6Y1.jpg
DSC_6563a9.jpg

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I picked up a cheap unpredictable Sigma 16mm fisheye. Closed right down it is quite good

1 A ruined castle at Quattro Castella near my home

2 A Prehistoric ritual location.

3 A Prehistoric ritual location.

Wonderful colours, JT!
Crisp detail and beautiful rendering of the out of focus areas.
I find the second one with the flowers outstanding.

I have several Vivitar-branded lenses which I enjoy shooting with--this 55mm is one of them & it gets 1:1 macro on its own. jt
View attachment 1652914View attachment 1652915View attachment 1652916
These examples certainly look great, Nigel!
Fine work with this wide angle. #3 would be my favourite.

I picked up a cheap unpredictable Sigma 16mm fisheye. Closed right down it is quite good

View attachment 1652919
1 A ruined castle at Quattro Castella near my home

View attachment 1652920
2 A Prehistoric ritual location.

View attachment 1652921
3 A Prehistoric ritual location.

Wonderful colours, JT!
Crisp detail and beautiful rendering of the out of focus areas.
I find the second one with the flowers outstanding.
Hello my friend and thanks for your careful and complementary observations on the Vivitar, Komine. Your are always so generous with your analysis and time--Best Regards, jt

This Vivitar-branded 135mm f/2.8 is my favorite 135mm. It has 1:2 Macro capabilities & half stop detents. This pic is not cropped, just downsized for the thread. Best, jt

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Having a lot of fun with a Samyang 24mm Tilt shift that is a good buy if you do architecture.

Viadana

Bozzolo

Hello dear Jt.
That's because of i migrate to sony camera.
If you have a Facebook user i will so happy to see your nice works on it.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011413140072
Thanks for the invite, but there just isn't enough time. I've never used Facebook; I can't even find enough time for these forums, which I love--it just leads to haste/waste trying to do too much. jt

I've been growing fonder of the 24mm focal length of late. Here are a few with the Sigma 24mm Macro f/2.8, @ f/4, f/5.6, f/8 & f11. It is a nice lens IMO.

DSC_4013-1j.jpg

DSC_4110-1a.jpg
DSC_4113-1ca.jpg

DSC_4123a.jpg

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I was reading a book about Architectural photography (Architectual Photography- Shulz) to see if I could get some new ideas. I found at least one. "You need the longest lens possible to get the most natural results".

My mind turned to the Nikkor 35PC. I found one well used, but with clean optics on Ebay for just over €200. Here are the first test shots; I like to test in real life situations.

Comparing with the same scene shot on the Samyang 24 I get less stretching at the top on the vertical shots and the shots do seem more natural or neutral if you like and the image quality at F11 looks fine. Looks like a keeper for monumental buildings

I like these old PC Nikkors for the clever way you can mark the aperture you want to work at and the knob that winds the lens up and down is very practical. This makes working in the dark
easy.

NCV_7382_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7436_DxOsmall.jpg
NCV_7428_DxOsmall.jpg

Compared to the Samyang 24 below

I was reading a book about Architectural photography (Architectual Photography- Shulz) to see if I could get some new ideas. I found at least one. "You need the longest lens possible to get the most natural results".

My mind turned to the Nikkor 35PC. I found one well used, but with clean optics on Ebay for just over €200. Here are the first test shots; I like to test in real life situations.

Comparing with the same scene shot on the Samyang 24 I get less stretching at the top on the vertical shots and the shots do seem more natural or neutral if you like and the image quality at F11 looks fine. Looks like a keeper for monumental buildings

I like these old PC Nikkors for the clever way you can mark the aperture you want to work at and the knob that winds the lens up and down is very practical. This makes working in the dark
easy.

View attachment 1656486

View attachment 1656490View attachment 1656489

View attachment 1656488

Compared to the Samyang 24 below

View attachment 1656491
Hi Nigel:
These look excellent--very nice work. I agree with Bart, you should place these in the Nikon manual focus thread--more appropriate there, than in this thread. Regarding your comments, yes, generally, the longer the lens you use for this type of subject, the less distortions you get. However, this is not because of the lens' distortion. There are 2 kinds of distortions. Geometric are distortions which are intrinsic to the lens itself, things like barrel & pincushion are good examples. However, the kind of distortions to which you refer here is called perspective distortion & has nothing to do with the lens or its focal length; rather, it has to do with keeping the sensor parallel to the subject. Normally, in architectural shooting one is limited by space, so wider lenses are needed. Some quick research on Google reveals all of this more clearly than my little paragraph. Best, jt

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom