Non Nikon replacement batteries

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Andyc, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    I want to get a spare battery for my D50. Is it false economy buying a cheaper make (Uniross etc). Does the quality of the Nikon warrant shelling out the extra £'s.

Best regards
    Andy

2. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Andy-

I have heard answers on this question ranging from definitely yes to no, not at all. My own experience - I bought a Delkin battery as a backup for my D200 when the D200 (EN - EL3e) battery was in short supply. The Delkin has a noticeably shorter life with a single charge (probably 75 exposures or so.) However since it is my backup I only use it while the Nikon battery is in the charger. The D50 is much easier on batteries than the D200 anyway, at least inmy experience.

3. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Nikon doesn't make a battery .... they order them from some factory in China with their brand name printed on it just like everyone else does.

I bought an Impact along with my D200 that had more capactiy and was cheaper. No regrets.

4. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thanks Scott and Billy. I think I will try a cheaper one for now as it will be my backup.

Best regards
    Andy

5. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Billy, can you provide a link to this Impact batt? And how long have u used it? Thnx.

6. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._ENEL3E_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion_Battery.html

$15 cheaper than the Nikon. Ordered this battery on the same order as my D200 and MB-D200. Works great, never a problem. It's my belief that this is the same people who make the battery for Nikon, the plastic cases on the batteries are just too physically similar in all aspects to be made by different companies.

7. I bought some cheapo batteries (ebay) for my D50. Approx. 20$ US for a pair of batteries, including shipping. I honestly can't tell the difference whether they, or my original, are in the camera. They're great.

8. I'm glad this question of batteries came up. I just got a D200 and one battery and was about to buy 2 more and maybe MB=D200. The store only had Delkin 2pack of 1600mAH and I wasn't sure if it would be equally effective as the genuine Nikon batteries.

I may check into Impact batteries instead.

9. I've stayed with the Nikon originals, I wouldn't want to risk my d200 on a 3rd party battery. And Nikon would probably refuse to fix it if it was related to the battery.

For the price difference I don't think it's worth it. BTW I have 4 for the d200
    and I have 4 as well for my d100