Noob Question

I am new to photography. Still having fun with the kit lens but I'm wondering what would be a good upgrade or addition to the kit lens? I love taking pictures of about anything. If i see something I want to take picture of and I have my camera, I will. So what Im trying to say is what would be a good budget lens? What I was thinking of getting is either 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX or the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX.TIA:smile:

which kit lens do you have. the 18-70 is a really good lens but if you have that covered.

the vr at that price is awesome. new pop photography issue calls it "a steal".

Paulo,

Since you seem to be happy with the 18-55, I'd suggest adding the 55-200. Gets you out to the short tele range, has VR so it can reasonably be hand held at the longer focal lengths and it's affordable.

Take your time, learn with both lenses. Soon enough, you'll start lusting after faster/sharper glass. It's called NAS and natural immunity is very rare. :wink: Tolerance is attainable but it can be very expensive to acquire...

Welcome to the Nikon Addiction Forum. My name's Bill and I'm an addict,

Bill

Paulo,

I second Bill's suggestion. The 18-70 is very similar to what you have now. The 55-200 will give you a new range to play with.

Like you, I like to shoot just about anything.....if I see it and like it, I will try to photograph it. This has unfortunately led me to own a few lenses. :wink: :redface: :biggrin:

Look through your shots that you've kept, and see if you notice a trend (People, landscapes, action)....it may help guide future decisions. :smile:

G

Gr8Tr1x

What do you shoot? I just got the 55-200mm VR, and I LOVE it! Its a heckuva steal.... Sharp sharp sharp

149584305-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=114179

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=114008

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JennJenn

I have the lens kit 18-55, a 50mm 1.8 and new to my little family is my 18-200 VR. I was actually planning to sell the 18-55.

The 55-200mm VR is your logical next step. It is a great lens in a great price and the focal length it covers is new to you.
Oh, buy a piggy bank too. And start feeding it. (a lot!)
PiggyBank.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Later, when you have more experience of what you like/need/want, it will be the right time to start spending $$$ to exotic glass :biggrin:
Welcome to the Cafe !

Paolo,

I agree with the above comments. I don't see any point in duplicating what you already have in your 18-55. I really like my 18-55 kit lens and use it quite a bit. It's definitely on the slow side, but I have always got great pictures from it.

I just sold my 55-200 (non-vr) today and ordered the 70-300 VR. If I had owned the VR version of the 55-200 instead, I would have probably stuck with it. I think at $250 it is going to be very hard to beat the 55-200 VR for value, and the pictures I have seen from it are very sharp.

Buy the 55-200 and have fun with your new range.

Oh yeah, be very careful about what Bill was talking about. NAS is nasty and unavoidable. Plus, for me it has gotten a lot worse since joining NikonCafe.

Good luck and welcome to the Cafe.

So i guess 55-200 VR it is then.:smile: As much as I want the 18-200 VR, it just doesnt fit my budget at the moment. I'll buy the 55-200 and try to enjoy it first and then see where I go from there. Thanks for all the help.:smile:

I would get the 18-200 and sell the 18-55.

That you can do if money is not a problem, its an exspensife but verry good lens (at least thats what i read here about that lens) otherwise i would go for what the others say, the 55-200 vr, i am also new and wil purchase soon a d40, i am thinking of that combo, but i also are looking at the 70-300 VR, that gives a lot of zoom with vr and its like 200 euro more then the 55-200 vr.

But i don't know why others didn't recommend that lens to you maybe they have a reason for that.

namaste,
aernout.

That you can do if money is not a problem, its an exspensife but verry good lens (at least thats what i read here about that lens) otherwise i would go for what the others say, the 55-200 vr, i am also new and wil purchase soon a d40, i am thinking of that combo, but i also are looking at the 70-300 VR, that gives a lot of zoom with vr and its like 200 euro more then the 55-200 vr.

But i don't know why others didn't recommend that lens to you maybe they have a reason for that.

namaste,
aernout.

Probably because I asked for a specific lens but its ok.:smile: its a little out of my budget anyway so most likely I will be purchasing the 55-200 VR. Hopefully it would be a good enough carry around lens. Ofcourse I'll still be carrying around the 18-55 kit lens. :tongue:

L

laawaaris

I found the 18-55 to be worse in performance than the 18-70. I was extremely happy when I made the switch from 18-55 to 18-70, picture was sharper and color was better.

Latest threads

Top Bottom