Noob questions on the Z6

Real Name
Paul
OK, so I have my Z6 and getting to know it. Can any of you help me with these?:

- Wi-Fi & Nikon Snapbridge app - is there any way to use the phone as a simple wireless release? It seems to only support remove live view mode. You can turn the live view on the phone off, but the camera just says "Connected to smart device" rather than revert to allow control via its own screen.

- Level gauge & histogram - is there any way to get both to display at once?

Thanks!

is there any way to use the phone as a simple wireless release?
I don't know about Snapbridge. If you get responses to the negative, there are lots of WiFi- or Bluetooth-based devices that allow you to use your phone and other devices to remotely control your camera. Three that I use are made by Camfi, MIOPS and CamRanger.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know about Snapbridge. If you get responses to the negative, there are lots of WiFi- or Bluetooth-based devices that allow you to use your phone and other devices to remotely control your camera. Three that I use are made by Camfi, MIOPS and CamRanger.
Thanks for that Mike - I'll check it out.

OK, so I have my Z6 and getting to know it. Can any of you help me with these?:

- Wi-Fi & Nikon Snapbridge app - is there any way to use the phone as a simple wireless release? It seems to only support remove live view mode. You can turn the live view on the phone off, but the camera just says "Connected to smart device" rather than revert to allow control via its own screen.

- Level gauge & histogram - is there any way to get both to display at once?

Thanks!
Certainly you can use it for controlling the camera. You can change shooting mode, f-stop, shutter speed, iso, and even turn on the self-timer. When you first start Snapbridge it will ask you if you want to Download pictures or do Remote photography. Choose the latter.

You have to turn on wi-fi on the camera by selecting "Connect to Smart Device" in the Setup Menu. Then go to your phone and select that wi-fi network.

Real Name
Paul
Certainly you can use it for controlling the camera. You can change shooting mode, f-stop, shutter speed, iso, and even turn on the self-timer. When you first start Snapbridge it will ask you if you want to Download pictures or do Remote photography. Choose the latter.

You have to turn on wi-fi on the camera by selecting "Connect to Smart Device" in the Setup Menu. Then go to your phone and select that wi-fi network.
Thanks Jim - but all I want is a remote shutter though - just press and release. I prefer to do all the shooting setup on the camera itself rather than the phone screen since there are lots of things you can't do via the phone.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
It seems that the only option without buying a dongle to connect to the camera (as with Camfi, MIOPS, Cam Ranger) is Nikon's Snapbridge. But it's pretty limited. You can remotely control the camera, but the facilities available are limited. For example, you can't do bracketing using it. I guess I'll just buy a simple wired remote. Pity really - wi-fi and bluetooth, but you can't fire the shutter remotely using either unless you hand over total control to the phone but then lose 75% of the cameras features. Not a deal-breaker, but I must say that Olympus do a much better job here.

Real Name
Ian
@pdk42

You’re correct that once you enable wifi, everything needs to be controlled via the phone. It’s a PITA, and is the reason I use a simple, cheap cable release. It’s far quicker to just plug the cable in, than it is to deal with setting up the wifi.

Having said that, if you do want to use the wifi of the camera either to shoot with or to pull pictures off the camera on to your phone, I highly recommend the Cascable app. It’s a few bucks, but works across camera models (I used it with my Olympus cameras when I had them), and it’s VASTLY superiorto Nikon’s SnapBridge, which is a steaming POS in my opinion.

Regarding the histogram and level, unfortunately both cannot be displayed at the same time. I really don’t understand this, and this is certainly one of those “quirks” you will take some getting used to. I also don’t understand why Nikon doesn’t allow a view of the rear LCD with every bit of information removed. Again, something so simple that could be rectified via a FW update, but has not been.

It's really amazing the number of tools I use for remote control of my Z6, D7000 and D5100, each for a different purpose:
  • CamFi WiFi -- mostly for transmitting the image to a computer monitor so adjustments can be made before remotely releasing the shutter;
  • MIOPS Remote Bluetooth -- for releasing the shutter using a phone using various hands-free methods when I don't have a spare hand to make that happen;
  • CamRanger Mini WiFi -- for focus bracketing using a phone (My CamFi might also do it, depending on the version I have, but I didn't realize that when I bought the CamRanger Mini.);
  • MJKZZ drop art photo kit infrared remotely controls the kit's controller, which is wired to the camera -- for doing drop art photography using its proprietary remote control;
  • Nikon ML-L3 infrared -- for releasing the shutter on the Nikon D7000 and D5100; and
  • Velos cable shutter release -- for releasing the shutter on the Nikon Z6.

Last edited:
@pdk42

... I highly recommend the Cascable app. It’s a few bucks, but works across camera models (I used it with my Olympus cameras when I had them), and it’s VASTLY superiorto Nikon’s SnapBridge, which is a steaming POS in my opinion.
Please tell us more about Cascable. Their web page isn't very informative.

Real Name
Ian
Please tell us more about Cascable. Their web page isn't very informative.
Not much I can say about it, other than that it’s a great app. Works across many different brands of cameras, is vastly more simple to use than Nikon’s SnapBridge app, allows you to transfer RAW and JPEG files.

I’ve used it for years now and don’t regret purchasing it.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I highly recommend UNLEASHED. It’s a harware plug-in that does every imaginable remote job via your smartphone including GPS location, remote control and lots more. It’s a German made high quality device that works. Just like it says on the box.

Real Name
Paul
I highly recommend UNLEASHED. It’s a harware plug-in that does every imaginable remote job via your smartphone including GPS location, remote control and lots more. It’s a German made high quality device that works. Just like it says on the box.
Interesting - but not cheap ($200 / £175).

After more than 60 years with a camera in hand I’ve learnt that you get what you pay for
While I agree to a certain extent, I have also been burnt by some promoting options which were never delivered.

However, its a shame Nikon don't provide a reliable and accurate Geotagging option like other camera manufactures do.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom