North American Goldfinch

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Markb, Jun 6, 2007.

1. This is my first bird picture, and I'm hoping that there will be a few more.

I had seen some North American Goldfinch's flitting about, so I installed a feeder in my backyard in the hopes of attracting them. Well, we now seem to have at least two males and one female visiting on a regular basis.

I shot this one from inside the house, through the kitchen window on an overcast day. The males also take up position here prior to heading to the feeder, I just wasn't fast enough to capture them, yet.

And I think I've found one more reason to get a TC.

Minor curves adjustment, cropped and sharpened.

original.

C&C welcome, since I expect to keep on trying!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  2. Very nice: the blurred foot is rather unusual, but it doesn't spoil the image.
    I think I'd try cropping a little more from the top edge and the right hand side to move the bird away from the centre of the frame.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  3. Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll reprocess this and post it again as soon as I can.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pretty shot Mark. I like the perch and the background. The blurred foot doesn't bother me either. Actually adds to the image IMO.

5. Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your capture. I agree with Alan & Frank that the blurred foot does not bother me & I agree on doing some cropping to off set the center position of the lovely bird.

If, & I do mean if, you want to ensure no more blurred feed I'd just up the shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/320 s on your D200.

Thanks for sharing your lovely capture with us.

Lil

6. Great capture, Mark. I agree about the crop. I'll have my 1.4 Nikon TC with me on Saturday and you can try it out with your 70-200VR. You'll love it taking you to 280mm with no loss of sharpness on that lens.

7. Thank you for the comments and advice.

Sandi, such a temptress.