North American White Pelican

On the migration to Canada, they stop by on the Mississippi River by the hundreds for a couple of weeks each Spring and Fall. They have only returned to this path for the last 10 years. No one knows why they quit or why they have re-started this.

441390492_aee1456ba7_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Showing off like any good fisherman.

441134025_255b48c64f.jpg

With a net like this, who needs a creel?

Thanks for looking!

Interesting info, Toby; I wonder why they stopped and started? But good for you that they restarted so you could capture some shots. Over here, I know that an effort is made to increase awareness of important stopovers and in that vein, an effort is made to keep the wetlands and such (since I'm coastal) from slowly disappearing.

I like the warmth of the first shot, very pretty. On the second, I don't think I've ever seen a pelican at quite that angle with a fish in its mouth, that's cool! :biggrin:

It was early morn on a back bay of the Mississippi. The big deal I missed was an off course pair of Harlequin ducks just 2 weeks before.

I went back the next day after a big storm. They were mostly hiding. I saw a couple of dozen instead of a few hundred.

Workin' it
441121858_ee84728b73_b.png

Another Skipjack down for the count!

Latest threads

Top Bottom