North Pole Express Rides Again

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Baywing, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:08 PM.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Last weekend found me at a familiar location, but it had a newly repainted boxcar on the siding which I wanted to incorporate into the scene.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    I'm with John Cleese on this one; I like it but I don't know much about it. Way more ambitious that I would ever attempt, the lighting alone ... I'm guessing that this involved some lying in wait for the loco to eclipse a strong light source?

3. Well taken shot with excellent conversion.

4. This reminds me of the steam train photography of O. Winston Link. You're probably familiar with his photos. If so, you also appreciate that I couldn't give a better compliment.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That is one terrific image

6. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    That's a great image. It looks like you traveled back in time to get that shot. Well done!

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks. It's actually quite simple, just gear intensive. Obviously the camera on a tripod (though the tripod isn't really needed). Then, 3 Paul Buff E640 studio strobes with battery power. Set up the strobes as desired, pre-focus the camera on your selected trigger point and trip the shutter when the train gets to that point. There is more to it, knowing the schedule, and notifying the RR in advance so the engine crew is prepared for the flash. I always throw a test shot when they are 200 feet away so they know where the lights are (and hopefully where not to look)
    I have 10.5 months per year to think up new lighting set ups for the 6 weeks the trains run at night.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Gordon

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, I am familiar with his work.

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Bob!

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Chuck, it's loads of fun out there in the dark by myself watching the lens frost over.......

12. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Very nice image.

13. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    I reckon your idea of 'quite simple', and mine, are considerably different. Well worth it for the picture though.