Northern Flicker is back

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Mar 20, 2005.

1. As some of you might recall, I had a pair of northern flickers nest on my rear deck last year. They are back, but we are not sure if they are going to take up residence again.

This is my first photo-op this year and the light was poor, as the flicker was in shadow. You can see from the background that there was some lovely evening light - well there will be more, hopefully with cleaner backgrounds!

D2H 500/4 1.4x 1/180s f/5.6 fill flash no crop. Tone was set at low contrast and changed to normal in capture.

2. Great shot Rory. :D :D :D :D

3. You'll get no sympathy from me about the poor light, Rory, because the result is outstanding!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful colors.

Thanks for sharing.

I see a tad halo.
    I know in the florida sun, shot against a blue sky with NO sharpening i see the same thing. Harris pointed that out to me. In nikon capture if I turn sharpen none, it seems to go away.

Then also leaving the photo a bit dull.

Any other alternitives to sharpening. I would sure like to cure that.

Cheers
    Gale

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shot Rory. I can relate to the poor light and cluttered background problems. Seems like I've been fighting these issues more than usual lately.

My take is, that it is better to get a shot like this than no shot. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

6. Very nice I had a opportunity for a flicker shot last week abut by the time I saw him recomposed he was gone, first one I ever saw around here, hope to run into some more.

7. What a capture Rory, Flickers are beautiful birds.

8. Beautiful!!!