Northern Flicker

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jose Suro, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I've been away from photography and the boards for a couple of weeks with a bad case of the Flu and a bad back to boot. I finally got out this morning with Ron (Reggie) and found a Northern Flicker nest with two cooperative birds.

This is the "Yellow-shafted" Eastern variant and the first image posted is of the female, the second one is the male. I cloned the flash dot out of the eye. Chicks should be around soon and they are fed from outside the nest so I'm going to be watching for this :).

Thanks for looking!

D200 - Borg 76ED 500mm @ F5.6 - Fill Flash @ -2.3EV - G1257

2. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Holy Cow Jose, these are awesome. The Flicker is on my 'most wanted' list. We have a couple in my neighborhood, but they never seem to come into camera range.

Super shots!! :smile:
  3. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Glad you are feeling better!

My nemesis bird and you have two beauties. Good work Jose! I hope you will post the babies and all the goings on here in the future?
  4. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    Boy Jose those really are amazing! simply top notch!! good to hear from you:wink:
  5. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Isn't it funny that two "bird photographers" from the state of Alabama have this bird on their wanted list? :confused: It's our state bird and I have never even come close to a satisfying photo of one of these. :mad:
  6. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Holy Cow, these are stunning captures. I need to go back for some looks. Outstanding photography, Jose.
  7. awesome shots bud.. welcome back!
  8. I'd say you came back with a Bang, excellent shots Jose. I've yet to really get a good shot of a Flicker.

9. Awesome shots Just love the colors and detail and bokeh!!! Welcome back!!!
  10. Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Spectacular, Jose. Sorry to hear you've been sick. Missed your great photos.
  11. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Great images....know what a bad back feels like, take it easy....
  12. Beautiful Jose. Well done.
  13. Very good shots. I especially like the 2nd one. I was shooting a red-bellied woodpecker yesterday but it never came close enough and the background was awful.
  14. Thanks everyone for the kind words! I forced the issue with my back last week and now I'm paying for it. I need to stay put a little longer to get this thing to heal.

Thanks again!!