Northern Harrier BIF

A few from this morning, D500 and Sigma 500mm f4 sport hand held.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking.

wow on #1

I might have stopped down some and bumped SS, iso 100 is nice but the D500 can go to 800 easy
maybe 5.6 and 1/3200
Thank you Randy.
I had no time Randy, it happened real fast, trust me I would have liked to have stopped down a bit myself, I was shooting with auto ISO set at 1600, it was overcast with thick heavy clouds moving across the sky all morning, the bird was underexposed even though I shot it wide open "I usually go 5.6 to 7.1 for my BIF shots", had to bring it out of the shadows in post even at f4 .

Real Name
Randy
Thank you Randy.
I had no time Randy, it happened real fast, trust me I would have liked to have stopped down a bit myself, I was shooting with auto ISO set at 1600, it was overcast with thick heavy clouds moving across the sky all morning, the bird was underexposed, had to bring it out of the shadows in post.
you mean you had a ceiling on auto iso of 1600 ?
I try to never underexpose, it's like cheating and getting caught (in PP)

I prefer 1 variable only, ISO, so I shoot in Manual with Auto ISO ON and unrestricted. I'd rather deal with the noise. I'll adjust aperture 1st and then SS if ISO gets to high. I'll adjust EV if the light gets low. I'll switch to spot meter if the light is weird (like my BY). The beauty of Auto ISO in Manual is EV and metering mode work (in straight Manual they do nothing). Sometimes I shoot straight manual when Auto ISO is making a mess (Snail Kites in Florida)….

everybody does this different so my apologies if my post comes across wrong

you mean you had a ceiling on auto iso of 1600 ?
I try to never underexpose, it's like cheating and getting caught (in PP)

I prefer 1 variable only, ISO, so I shoot in Manual with Auto ISO ON and unrestricted. I'd rather deal with the noise. I'll adjust aperture 1st and then SS if ISO gets to high. I'll adjust EV if the light gets low. I'll switch to spot meter if the light is weird (like my BY). The beauty of Auto ISO in Manual is EV and metering mode work (in straight Manual they do nothing). Sometimes I shoot straight manual when Auto ISO is making a mess (Snail Kites in Florida)….

everybody does this different so my apologies if my post comes across wrong
No need to apologize. I do the same thing, but like I said the bird caught me off guard, I was actually leaving the park when it just appeared out of nowhere. And I was shooting in manual "I only shoot in manual mode", but my main concern was to get the SHOT and not fiddle around with the settings, especially while shooting hand held and maneuvering this lens over my head trying to keep focus on this erratic bird. I had this bird on my radar for weeks, never able to get this close, I guess it knew I was leaving so it decided to do a flyover.

Last edited:
Nice group. The ones near me don't like to get close.
Thank you Allan.
Same here, I got lucky, I was on my way out of the park when it decided it was safe to come out and play.

I just bought this to hopefully get closer.

LensCoat LensHide Photography Blind Realtree Max4 camo camera tripod cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFKT9IW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c.trEb5J6QSXE

Here is a shot of it perched, horrible light and good amount of distance, would have liked to be closer, but hard to do on a wide open field.
_DSC0494_DxO.png

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom