Northern Hawk Owl (2nd pic added)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by SteveK, Sep 2, 2008.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    In the past few days, we've had a merlin hunting birds near our bird feeder. The feeder also attracts red-backed voles, our version of "mice". The voles in turn attract predators, and so, yesterday morning a Northern hawk owl was sitting in a tree above the feeder.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  2. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Wow! Awsome bird Steve.

3. Great Photo! I've never seen a Northern Hawk Owl before. In fact, I've seen very few owls.

4. Kewlll.. Little dark on the right eye though... But then again what do I know...

5. Great shot. Never have seen one of these guys before.

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    These guys are fairly common in our area during the summer season.

Yea, well, I couldn't get him to look directly into the sunshine! I tried my best at squeaking to get it's attention, but he just looked at me as if to say, I know you are there stupid! Now go scare up a few voles for me!

Thanks Louis!

7. steve
    that is an excellent shot
    very well done

8. excellent Steve!

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Thanks Greg & Dave! It's autumn here now, and typically a number of birds pass through this time of the year. In the past few weeks I've seen flocks of warblers as they group up to head south. Already many of our summer residents are gone; soon the snow will fly and the lakes will freeze, and we'll only have a few species of birds left until next spring.

10. That is just awesome. I've actually had dreams about getting owl shots like that!

11. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Hawk owls aren't typically very shy. This guy let me walk around the tree to get the best light possible, and then after a time, it flew to another tree. I followed, and it didn't pay much attention to me.

12. Very pretty bird. They may be common by you but owls are sort of "trophy birds" by us.

I would lighten up the dark eye, however.

13. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    OK, for those who didn't like the shadow on the eye, here's another version from the same tree where both eyes are in light.

[​IMG]

14. Very nice, Steve! What a beautiful perch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.