Northwest Winter - Bloedel Reserve Gardens (Part 1)

Real Name
Ken St John
Spent some time with friends walking around the Bloedel Reserver on Bainbridge Island. It's another one of these "timber baron's" homes that have been turned over to a "public trust" -- no doubt to the tune of a lot of tax savings. From their history: "In 1951, Virginia and Prentice Bloedel purchased the property that would become Bloedel Reserve. It was their private residence for more than 30 years, many devoted to exploring the relationship between people and nature. Yale-educated, Mr. Bloedel began a teaching career but soon became the reluctant heir to his father’s timber business. An environmentalist at heart, he innovated several of today’s conservation concepts such as “reuse.” He advocated reusing hog fuel, a log byproduct, to help generate sawmill power and worked with pulp mills to reduce waste. His most enduring “green” idea was to plant seedlings to reforest clear-cut land." According to my Apple watch, we put in about a 3.25 mile hike on the grounds. They are more than worthy of a return visit in spring/summer/fall when things are at their visual peak. On this cool winter day, in a very light rain, and overcast skies ... a lot of the beauty was kind of "blah". However, I can just imagine that after a rare snowstorm this place would be beautiful as well!!

1 - The main residence
Bloedel Reserve-84.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 - The reflecting pond
Bloedel Reserve-94.jpg

3 - Walking path in the forest (some friends ahead of us)
Bloedel Reserve-179_DxO.jpg

4 - Some details
Bloedel Reserve-125.jpg

5 - More details
Bloedel Reserve-7.jpg

6 - A mossey tree
Bloedel Reserve-42.jpg

7 - Best part of the day ... walking around with my sweetie!!
Bloedel Reserve-210.jpg

We have another of these "gardens of the timber barons" near us, but nowhere on this scale. The place was huge!! I'll probably have another set up in a day or two as well.

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom