Nostalgia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoDawg, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Thought you old timers might like this. I found this in storage. Must have been my wife's parents old camera.

[​IMG]

2. That, reminds me of my dad's 1954 Zeiss Ikon Instamatic which actually "drove me" into photography back in 1978...!!! (NO I'm not that old, I just started young!!! :wink: )

3. I remember that camera. My folks had one too.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah, we had that camera when I was a kid too! It had a light inside that turned on when it was OK to push the button.

Oh, just like digitals huh?

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    thanks for the nostalgia fix Bryan...I used to work in a local photo shop when I was in high school and early on in college. They had a few of these laying around. What is really funny is the little old ladies who would come in wanting flash bulbs for their cameras....remember the old kind that snapped in and turned around after each use? yeah, i know, i'm showing my age!

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Flash Cubes. I was in 8/9th grade when I had a camera that used those. It was the first camera that I owned. Kodak Instamatic (I forget the number, maybe 124?)

Ahhhh, those were the days, Kodachrome 25, deep blue skys. Focus? What's that?

7. umm, I wasn't even a fetus when those gadgets came about, I must be young! :)

8. You think flash cubes were sometihng? I was still using flash powder when I first tried taking pictures. How is that for old.

Gil

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's way old Gil. :)

Hey - you're from Rochester! That's the home of the flash bulb isn't it?

10. Flash bulbs were introduced by Vacublitz, a German company, in 1929. They were simple glass bulbs filled with thin aluminum foil and oxygen, and were considerably safer than the dangerously explosive flash powder and magnesium flash sheets that had been used up until then. Even so, early flash bulbs were still dangerous to use - they often exploded inadvertently when exposed to static electricity, and early flash bulbs could also shatter when fired, spraying hot glass onto the horrified subject.

11. That's what I call photography!

"Don't move (to the model), or I'll spray hot glass in your face!" :p :D :) :( :wink: :roll:

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah! Where can I get a few of those?!?!?

:) Just kidding, I don't really want to intimidate my subjects with anything else besides the horrors of my post processing.

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    You folks aren't old! I remember standing beside some French dude in a room overlooking a courtyard in France and he was raving about making a camera out of the entire room or something. I couldn't understand French so how was I to know we were making history.
    Jarrell

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL@ Jarrell...

I just knew you would see this :>))

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dawg.