Nostalgia

Thought you old timers might like this. I found this in storage. Must have been my wife's parents old camera.

18954698-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PhotoDawg said:
Thought you old timers might like this.

That, reminds me of my dad's 1954 Zeiss Ikon Instamatic which actually "drove me" into photography back in 1978...!!! (NO I'm not that old, I just started young!!! :wink: )

Real Name
Chris
Yeah, we had that camera when I was a kid too! It had a light inside that turned on when it was OK to push the button.

Oh, just like digitals huh?

thanks for the nostalgia fix Bryan...I used to work in a local photo shop when I was in high school and early on in college. They had a few of these laying around. What is really funny is the little old ladies who would come in wanting flash bulbs for their cameras....remember the old kind that snapped in and turned around after each use? yeah, i know, i'm showing my age!

Real Name
Chris
Flash Cubes. I was in 8/9th grade when I had a camera that used those. It was the first camera that I owned. Kodak Instamatic (I forget the number, maybe 124?)

Ahhhh, those were the days, Kodachrome 25, deep blue skys. Focus? What's that?

Flash bulbs were introduced by Vacublitz, a German company, in 1929. They were simple glass bulbs filled with thin aluminum foil and oxygen, and were considerably safer than the dangerously explosive flash powder and magnesium flash sheets that had been used up until then. Even so, early flash bulbs were still dangerous to use - they often exploded inadvertently when exposed to static electricity, and early flash bulbs could also shatter when fired, spraying hot glass onto the horrified subject.

gmaker1 said:
Even so, early flash bulbs were still dangerous to use - they often exploded inadvertently when exposed to static electricity, and early flash bulbs could also shatter when fired, spraying hot glass onto the horrified subject.

That's what I call photography!

"Don't move (to the model), or I'll spray hot glass in your face!" :p :D :) :( :wink: :roll:

Real Name
Chris
Yeah! Where can I get a few of those?!?!?

:) Just kidding, I don't really want to intimidate my subjects with anything else besides the horrors of my post processing.

You folks aren't old! I remember standing beside some French dude in a room overlooking a courtyard in France and he was raving about making a camera out of the entire room or something. I couldn't understand French so how was I to know we were making history.
Jarrell

Latest threads

Top Bottom