Not a good day - D2Hs is down for the count - Broken

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candidcameraman, May 6, 2007.

1. The little curtain eyepiece shutter lever just gave up... Now I have to send it in and get it fixed by Nikon - will get the flash serviced at the same time... All I can say is that I am not impressed.

No camera for a while .... I could use a cigarrette :Smoking: and a drink just about now...

Well what do I do now? I have no camera...

2. Buy a backup? Thats what I would have done if I didn't already have one. (D50 shutter was acting up, and connection errors and a loose jog dial got me to send it in) But I had a D70s as my backup so in my "4-10 weeks" At least i'll have a DSLR still!

3. Sorry not even 4 months with a "pro" body and something goes wrong with it preventing me from using it and I did not drop it... If it does take 4 to 10 weeks to get it repaired by Nikon service, I will definitively need a backup grrrrreat just when I was looking at buying a new lens. I am a little disapointed when prime photographic time for me is "now" ... I will be shopping this week after it is sent to Nikon, I will call them on Monday before I start shopping, maybe perhaps it is time to buy that point and shoot camera I always wanted until I get the D2Hs back.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  4. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

The general sense I have gotten about Nikon repair service is that they're fairly quick, and that 3 weeks tends to be the maximum amount of time for a repair (including shipping in both directions). With a pro body, it'll likely be pretty quick, especially if you put pressure on them to get it done quickly. Sorry to hear that.

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    When my D2x went in for some hot pixel repair my local shop lent me a D80 for the duration. Since I frequent them often they let me have the loaner for free. Perhaps you have a local shop that you patronize that will do the same.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

buy a d50 fora back up ...u gotta have 2 of these gizmos to support the addiction ..lol
    ;-))

7. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    sorry to hear that Dude.. hope you get your cam back asap.. i'm looking around (saving) for a backup these days as well

8. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Nikon service is OK...but you need to stay on them if you want things to move along briskly. Follow up on the delivery after it arrives. I called almost daily on my stuff and it took three weeks in the repair center almost every time.

Their tracking is awful. I called one morning about my lens and they said they were working on it...it arrived on my desk about 4 hours later....pretty speedy those Nikon guys.... ?

Interesting in that Canon sent me a whole package on priority repair service that is part of the 1DMKIIN purchase. Guaranteed turn around times, $100 coupon, details on how to send stuff in....I wasn't sure how to take that...does that mean I will need to send it in soon?!!!

I would have thought Nikon would have a similar pro level service for the D2X & D2H.....

9. I hope to get it back soon, I included a personalized letter in the package and mailed it insured. I will make sure to call them in the morning.

I want to get a D200 as a backup however it will have to wait until August... Vacation coming up and I just moved back to Toronto - two expensive things right back to back... Nuts, I am just plain nuts.

I thought about that but may end up buying a D200 before I'd buy a D50 just cause I have big hands however I was looking at an Olympus P&S... :rolleyes:

The trouble is that the shop I patronized mainly these past few months is located in Montreal, I find myself in Toronto at the moment and will surely shop again in Montreal since their prices are much lower.

I included a letter stating I needed it for May 19th... Lets see if they can send it back in time.

This will give me time to work on old pictures and get some printed :biggrin: