Not a happy camera day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hmmm.. Arrived at work to find that the D70 that has been so reliable for me up to now has something I have discovered has the name "BGLOD" or Blinking Green Light of Death. Basically it's a dead camera with the drive access light blinking in disco green. I believe this is quite a well -known thing.

There are some area here I just won't take the D2X. Too much of a theft risk. The D70 looks much less conspicuous.

Guess off to Nikon it goes. That was the D2H last month and the D70 this month; sometimes I wonder if the terrible consumer and competition pressure placed on manufacturers to get new product on the shelves doesn't do us all a disservice.

Best
    Peter

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Peter,

My D70 did the same thing about a week ago, and after several complete resets, it seemed to clear up. I hadn't heard the reports of this problem that you mention. Keep us updated on what you find out about yours.

Thanks,

3. Hi Frank
    That's interesting..it cleared up? For me it's dead, LCD display and everything else except the green light. Was yours the same? By reset you meen push the reset button - but with the power on or off? Battery in or out?
    I did a search on the D70 forum over at DPR and there are quite a few BGLOD reports.
    Thanks in advance
    Peter

4. Peter you just have to paint the Nikon and D2X logo with black paint matching the color of the camera, that way your camera will be less visible.

5. read up on BGLOD on Dpreview. There are some folks who fixed it by opening the camera and pluging back in some of the wire straps that had worked loose. Apparently there is one strap in particular that does not have a lock on the plug and this tends to work loose. Don't know if it's true but it is worth a check.

Here is a Link to one guy who fixed it.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=14006842

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Peter,

My symptoms were the same. As I recall, I did the 2-button reset described in the manual. I had to do it several times though before the camera computer got the message. Prior to trying that, I removed the battery, tried a different completely charged battery, and swapped CF cards, all with no improvement.

Let me know if this helps on yours.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'd recommend sending it to Nikon before attempting a DIY solution because so far they appear to be fixing this problem free of charge even on D70's that are out of the warranty period.

As an early D70 owner this problem does concern me somewhat, because it's my only camera and I'd hate to have it fail on me at an inopportune time.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I got delayed before hitting the send button on my previous message. I'm afraid that I have to agree with you Paul. Any 'fix' that I might have made, assuming that it is this loose cable, is probably very temporary.

Admittedly I don't use the D70 nearly as much as I do the D2H, unless I'm hiking a lot. Lately I've been working on yard remodeling instead of hiking. What I'm saying is that I probably haven't seen the last of this problem.

Thanks for the info everyone.

10. Hi Gilles,

Honestly that doesn't work. I gaffer tape my cameras covering all logos and to make it look as discreet as possible, but a big camera is a big camera no matter how you look at it! :p

11. Is this problem unique to early D70's ? I got mine just this past April, and I would be devastated if it failed on our extended trip to the Canadian Rockies beginning in August.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Pa, it seems to be only the early D70's. Supposedly camera's made since last fall are OK.

13. sounds like a good argument for a backup camera.

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yes, that's just one of the many justifications I'm using to hopefully get a D2X by the end of the summer. :)