Not as good as Jarrell's but this bug is BIG!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Steve S, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Granted, this doesn't have the fantastic compositional qualities Jarrell's Tomato Hornworm had, but I have to tell you, this is THE largest bug I've ever seen in Indiana! It was about 5 inches long, and was the diameter of my middle finger! Well fed too, as witnessed by all my dessimated tomatos!
    [​IMG]

2. Excellent photo!
    I just read that these are regarded as pests. Here in Europe there is not one hawk moth species whose caterpillars are a problem for plants.

Cheers

3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Wow , a Gardners nightmare.
    Probably only takes a couple of bites out each tomato too.

4. Great shot of this Hornworm. Sometimes it's nice to see what we are up against when we choose to plant a garden.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    That's the same thing that started eating my tomatoes! Fortunately they were just about done producing by the time those buggers showed up.

Cool pic BTW! He does look absolutely HUGE !

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone. It was my housekeeper who pointed it out to me. She went outside to see if there were any ripe tomatos and freaked out when see saw this behemoth.