Not as good as others, but ah what the heck

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by faenix, Jul 10, 2005.

1. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Tried shooting with my 17-55, any constructive criticism, tips, comments will be appreciated!

25018916_beea5262f0_o.

2. Very good for that lens. It was not intended for this type of shot but you have done very well. Good lighting and I would assume F2.8 aperature due to the background(which is GREAT). Just a little hot in the upper leaves. Nice shooting.
    What is your name?

3. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Yeap, I thought I could get by with the 17-55 to shooting flowers but I realize I really do need a macro lens at the very least.

My name's Chong. Thanks for your comment!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chong,

When I got my 17-35 I thought that I could use it with the 500D to do macro-like shooting. As you have seen, a lens with this kind of short focal length doesn't give much magnification, so you just have to get real close. :lol:

Nice job though using what you had. :wink:

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I think that the blown portion of the flower gives this capture character. At this time I'm unable to put into words what I'm feeling about it. I like it and cannot pinpoint the exact emotion I have. Photography is like fine art to me, i have to look at it a while before I can say how it makes me feel sometimes.

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful flower.

6. Chong

Nice capture, especially with such a short lens. To me, shooting macro requires two things:

1. Equipment - by that I mean either a long lens with close up filters, or a macro lens that lets you get real close to the subject.
    and
    2. A good eye to be able to see the object and pull it out of the background

You obviously have lots of #2.

Like Patrick mentioned, the blown highlights do add a lot of character to the shot. If you'd exposed for them then the right hand side would have been far to dark so see all the texture in the petals. A bit of fill in flash may have helped.

None the less, I like it.

7. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Thanks for all the kind words! I'm glad my first picture wasn't ripped apart. I guess I have to get out more & hopefully pick up an macro lens.

Chong

8. Hi Chong, I don't think you need to worry about your photos being ripped apart. :) I know the apprehension in posting a picture. I think most everyone here is sensitive to that feeling and are gentle especially when critiquing. At least I've noticed that so far.

Keep shooting and keep posting! :D

9. Chong, we learn by trying and this is an excellent attempt. You have lost some detail in the highlights on the left side that could easily be fixed by using a reflector to throw some more light into the inside of the flower. Use spot metering when taking this type of image where the background is dark like it is here. Your exposure will be better and the colors of the flower more vibrant. Nice to have you here at the Cafe sharing your talent.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Macro lens is ideal, but you might want to try an extension tube with that 17-55. On a 55mm lens, a 25mm extension tube would get you almost to 1:2, which is pretty close. Your working distance is going to be really close though.