Not at all happy with getting started with Topaz plug-in -- SOLVED

I downloaded the trial of Topaz AI Sharpen and opened the plug-in in Photoshop CC. A window appeared requiring me to log in to my Topaz account. I didn't have one (or so I thought) so I tried to create an account. The window that appeared clearly indicated that I already had an account. Sure enough, upon downloading the trial software, Topaz sent me an email that included the password for my account that was created without me knowing that I ever gave permission. (When I agreed to license the trial software, that agreement, which I didn't read, might have included that permission). I tried using the password in that email to login to my account. No luck. I used Topaz's facility to reset the password. I tried using the newly created password. Still no luck. I tried using three more newly created passwords. Still no luck.

So, I can't log in to my account and I can't open the plug-in without logging in.

Very unimpressed, to say the least. I'm awaiting a response from Topaz.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Since you don't remember setting up a new account, did you try setting one up? Or was setting up an account part of downloading the trial s/w?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since you don't remember setting up a new account, did you try setting one up?
When I tried setting up an account, a new window was displayed in my new account without me doing anything other than clicking the link to create the new account. (I inferred from the Logout button that was displayed that I was already in the account.)

Or was setting up an account part of downloading the trial s/w?
I only provided my email address to download the trial. Topaz automatically created an account for me and generated a password without telling me so until I read their email that was automatically sent. That password didn't allow me into my account. So I used their facility that automatically creates new passwords. None of those passwords worked.

Last edited:
Now that I've reviewed the situation, I'm more confused than ever. When I open the plug-in, a window appears that requires me to log in to "Topaz Sharpen AI." When I click the Create an Account link, doing so automatically takes me to the dashboard of my Topaz Labs Account. It indicates that I have not downloaded any software even though I've downloaded and installed the trial software. There is nothing there that allows me to activate the software.

Rather than clicking the Create an Account link, if I try logging in to "Topaz Sharpen AI" using a newly reset password, that password doesn't work.

Very bizarre.

Last edited:
Mike - I just took a look at the Topaz site and clicked on the free trial offer for GigapixelAI. When I clicked on "Try For Free" a box popped up for me to enter my e-mail address. Once I entered my e-mail address and clicked on "Get Free Trial" a new box popped up and at the top there is the statement, " We've sent your free trial download and login/password to "[email protected]". Enjoy the software!" There is also a separate box where you save their installer file. It looks like they call that an "account" since you need the password associated with your e-mail address to log in and activate the software to start your trial period.

At this point if you are still interested in the software, you probably just need to contact Topaz to get the password reset. To do that you can go to their site, put your cursor on support, and click on submit a request. A list of their software will open and when you click on Sharpen AI you will get a list of choices. Given your description, I'd probably click on "I can't log in to my program". Once you click on "Proceed" it will open up a transmittal where you can describe the problem you have encountered and request assistance.

I've got Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI. I think that they are well designed pieces of software worth checking out. I haven't had any issues with the Topaz software for a while (fingers crossed) but when I did they were responsive getting back to me. Good luck getting the issue resolved if you decide to proceed.

Thanks, John! I already sent Topaz a note and a follow-up note explaining the situation.

I've never seen such a convoluted set of requirements to be able to use a trial software license or one that has been purchased; all the other software I've used required simply downloading and installing it. I don't understand why the login doesn't work when using the password they first sent to me or any of the passwords created using their reset capability. There's simply no excuse for that.

Based on the company's reputation, I expect this will be the only glitch. Even so, it's a disappointment.

For others following the thread that haven't yet successfully begun using Topaz's trial software,

A list of their software will open and when you click on Sharpen AI you will get a list of choices. Given your description, I'd probably click on "I can't log in to my program".
That category isn't the right one in this case. That's because there are some fields that require being filled that aren't pertinent to the trial software that hasn't been used. So, the information required to fill those fields is not available. Instead, I selected the category, Online Account, to submit my issue.

Mike - Sorry the suggestion for the box to check wasn't the right one but I'm glad there was one that would work. I feel your pain about the software/login glitch. I used to have a ton of problems with the Adobe software that I had purchased and as Nick mentioned, it almost became a new hobby trying to get the issues fixed.

Hopefully, Topaz will reset your password so you can activate the software and try it out. If it works out, I'll be interested in how you like Sharpen AI. Personally, I tend to use DeNoise a lot more than Sharpen but that's just me. However, with that in mind, if Topaz allows dual trials you might want to also try DeNoise out.

Sorry the suggestion for the box to check wasn't the right one
No apology needed; just the opposite, I appreciate that you tried to help. I had actually successfully submitted my issue to Topaz before you first posted.

I'll be interested in how you like Sharpen AI.
The reason I'm interested in it is with the hope that it will sharpen the parts of my drop art photos that are out of focus because the depth of field when using the macro lens is necessarily smaller than I would prefer.

It's a good thing it is a weekend and you are retired; you'll now have enough time to devote to this new "hobby"! :devil:
Considering that it is indeed the weekend, my guess is that I won't hear from Topaz until Monday at the earliest. So, I won't be devoting any more time this weekend to Topaz. Sadly, that also means there is no reason for the Cafe Drinking Support Team to launch into action.

Hope all works out well for you, Mike! I have decided that in the end it's a lot easier to simply buy new software straightaway rather than messing with a trial version, as yes, things can get messy when you decide you do want to buy the software after all and have to figure out how to do that.... Some programs make it a lot more straightforward a process than others. I recently decided to try Optics and I started using the trial, decided I do like the program and then purchased the software (I think). It's a little confusing now because every time I open it I get the message that the trial will expire in x number of days and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to type in the activation number for the purchase. Yet when I check my account there it is listed that I now own the software, etc. Whatever... I'm waiting until the date the trial period is up -- November 22nd -- and we'll see what happens after that. Anyway, I like the program, it's really nifty, and I'm using the standalone version since I don't use Photoshop or any of the other programs which accept it as a plug-in.

It's a little confusing now because every time I open it I get the message that the trial will expire in x number of days and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to type in the activation number for the purchase. Yet when I check my account there it is listed that I now own the software, etc.
That's really odd. Perhaps take a closer look to find a place to provide the activation number. It might be hidden in a drop down menu.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hope all works out well for you, Mike! I have decided that in the end it's a lot easier to simply buy new software straightaway rather than messing with a trial version, as yes, things can get messy when you decide you do want to buy the software after all and have to figure out how to do that.... Some programs make it a lot more straightforward a process than others. I recently decided to try Optics and I started using the trial, decided I do like the program and then purchased the software (I think). It's a little confusing now because every time I open it I get the message that the trial will expire in x number of days and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to type in the activation number for the purchase. Yet when I check my account there it is listed that I now own the software, etc. Whatever... I'm waiting until the date the trial period is up -- November 22nd -- and we'll see what happens after that. Anyway, I like the program, it's really nifty, and I'm using the standalone version since I don't use Photoshop or any of the other programs which accept it as a plug-in.
That's really odd. Perhaps take a closer look to find a place to provide the activation number. It might be hidden in a drop down menu.
With Topaz software, once you open the software you just need to add your registration number. That will activate the software. I'm not familiar with Optics s/w.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It really is very easy.
1. You go to this page before you do anything else: https://topazlabs.com/my-account/ and you register. You now have an account and a password.
2. Then you download the software you want and you type in your account details when you install the software.
That's it.
Given the confusion at the moment, if you don't know the password for your account, and it says the account exists, then you press the button saying you have lost the password, and the system will let you reset it.

1. You go to this page before you do anything else: https://topazlabs.com/my-account/ and you register. You now have an account and a password.
2. Then you download the software you want and you type in your account details when you install the software.
That's it.
It's too late for me for that; I already downloaded the software before registering.

if you don't know the password for your account, and it says the account exists, then you press the button saying you have lost the password, and the system will let you reset it.
You're correct that the system resets the password. The problem is that the system doesn't accept that newly created password. I've tried it using four newly created passwords.

Thanks! Looked through the .pdf and then uninstalled and reinstalled and again was met with the same screen and again when I went to the section on Licensing it was confusing but this time I pushed through and finally the right drop-down menu came along. It sure was hidden and was definitely confusing! Anyway, looks as though I'm in business now. Good luck with your challenge, too!

Last edited:
I had a problem with DeNoise one time where it would not recognize the edits if the image was opened as a plug-in from Lightroom. I can't remember if that was when I initially purchased it after a trial or I had just run an update. Anyway, something went wrong and uninstalling and reinstalling it as they advised just didn't fix the problem. I finally uninstalled it, manually cleaned my registry, and reinstalled it. That fixed the problem. Hopefully Mike will be provided with s simpler fix that works. In the meantime, just thinking about it requires me to lift a glass of scotch, salute the Cafe Support Drinking Team, and request a membership!

In the meantime, just thinking about it requires me to lift a glass of scotch, salute the Cafe Support Drinking Team, and request a membership!
There is no formal membership but some of us do have some rather strict benchmarks that have to be met before they pass along the secret handshake. I don't remember the secret handshake, so I'm a lot more forgiving about that. Regardless, hand shakes are a no-no during the COVID crisis, maybe forever from now on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom