Not at all happy with getting started with Topaz plug-in -- SOLVED

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When the time came later on to update my camera gear, I felt comfortable knowing that my computer would be able to handle it
That detail is very important when two spouses are negotiating: "Honey, I won't need to buy a new computer because it will handle the larger files created by my new camera just fine." :ROFLMAO:

MORE SUCCESS!

When sharpening the areas that are a little out of focus because they're beyond the ideal depth of field, they take on a very unnatural look that's actually worse because it becomes more evident that those areas are out of focus.
I thought about that this morning and remembered that to get a quick impression, I simply added Topaz sharpening to my previously sharpened file. Though I knew that workflow probably would not produce optimum results, the thought never occurred to me that it would produce such horrible results. But it did!

So, I used a correct workflow this morning of applying Topaz sharpening first and only to the areas of the image that were a bit out of focus. Then I used the rest of my workflow as usual to post-process the image. Notice the results shown below.

Without Topaz at 100%
100% without Topaz.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With Topaz at 100%
100% with Topaz.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, Topaz just rolled out an update to Sharpen in the last couple of days. I don't know that any of the fixes will benefit you, but of special interest to me is this one:
  • Fixed vertical lines in images when using GPU processing mode
Will be testing soon.

Topaz just rolled out an update to Sharpen in the last couple of days.
I downloaded the installation file a week ago and when I use the software to check for updates, it indicates that I have the latest version. I also received no email from Topaz about an update. However, considering that TopazLabs clearly had a problem with its password system acknowledged by its operations manager that made it impossible for me to load Sharpen AI, I've gotta wonder if the information about my version is accurate.

My version is 2.2.0. Is that the latest version?

By the way, I would never use the GPU processing mode on my system because it is so painfully slow. Any improvements other than speed when using that mode would be of no interest to me.

Last edited:
I got notified from within the app while running 2.2.0, can't say why you weren't alerted other than to say... Topaz.
EDIT: I suppose there is the possibility that the update will nuke your trial. It shouldn't, but again...

Last edited:
As for sharpening with Topaz Sharpen AI, please also consider (as other potential options to compare) using Gigapixel AI and/or Topaz Studio with the AI Clear filter.

I have been going through my ancient pile of film scans and digital images spanning 45 years, getting them ready for Fine Art America (I have also done the same for Redbubble). A lot of these images are lo-res due to their age and need some improvements and other restorative/upgrade work.

Here is an example I did last night, using a 2005 Bryce 7 render I originally saved as .pct (detail crop of original 1120x866px at 100%):

For online print sale use I first ran it through Gigapixel at 6x then followed up with Studio>AI Clear and got this result (also shown at 100%)!

I've been using this same workflow for all of my images intended for this purpose, and it's been going very well. Huge improvement.

As for notification of updates, when you launch any Topaz app it should automatically check and offer you the download.

BTW, any of you using Topaz trials who intend to purchase soon, be aware that there is a MAJOR Black Friday sale coming next week (60% off, plus a coupon is available for another 15% on top of that).

Last evening when I opened Topaz Sharpen AI to use it to sharpen a couple of images, first thing it did was to notify me that there was a new update and asked me if I wanted to download it, which of course I did, and then I installed it, getting all that out of the way before going on to do what I'd intended. It always has notified me immediately after I've opened a program. It could be that it does not do this for trials, only for registered owners of the software, which would make sense, actually.

It could be that it does not do this for trials, only for registered owners of the software, which would make sense, actually.
That makes absolutely no sense to me as a business model. They surely want their prospective customers to have the best possible trial experience, as that leads to the most likelihood that the prospective customers become paying customers. If the update is truly improving the product, the prospective customers don't have access to the best possible trial experience.

Mike, click through next week and see what your offer is, and use the coupon code. I'm not sure how an individual product purchase will work then (no matter what and at any time you can save the 15%), but Topaz says:

"Users will only pay for what they don't already own:
  • If a user owns one or more Topaz products, their Everything Bundle price will be even lower."

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Mike, click through next week and see what your offer is, and use the coupon code. I'm not sure how an individual product purchase will work then (no matter what and at any time you can save the 15%), but Topaz says:

"Users will only pay for what they don't already own:
  • If a user owns one or more Topaz products, their Everything Bundle price will be even lower."
Yes, in the past they have always offered large discounts on individual s/w items in addition to the entire suite of s/w offerings.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom