Not bad for ISO 4000

I recently shot a wrestling event. It was a taping for pay-per-view for the Urban Wrestling Federation. It was shot at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC. Lighting on the ring was good, but I had to use the 18-105 since I didn't have a 2.8 zoom at the time. I ended up shooting ISO 4000, 1/400sec at f/5 on my D7000.

I was also shooting with the D90/35mm f/1.8 at ISO 1600, f/3.5 and 1/400sec.

I did a quick comparison of some high ISO shots from my D3, which I no longer have, to the D7000 and I personally don't see a difference in the RAW files. The samples I compared were ISO 2500, so I know the D3 can go much higher then the 7000. So maybe at extreme ISO's the D3 would have outperformed the 7000.

Noise Reduction and Sharpening in LR and on export Sharpening for Screen set to Standard.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are two from the D7000.

Nothing like a folding chair to the head. LOL....
original.jpg

original.jpg

ISO 4000 and it looks like that!!!! NICE!!!
Your Tamron 17-50 would have been a good fit.

I know Tom, I'm VERY happy with the 7000.

Now I'm ready for the next event with the Tamron. I'll be able to drop the ISO to 1600 or so.

Thanks for commenting.

For sports, and low light, I would recommend the Nikon 70 200mm VR1 or VR2.

Here is a photo using it at a church event, ISO = 5000:

DSC0092-X3.jpg

For sports, and low light, I would recommend the Nikon 70 200mm VR1 or VR2.

Here is a photo using it at a church event, ISO = 5000:

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/Other/RBC-Mothers-Day-Services-May-8/i-nJK8wz8/0/X3/DSC0092-X3.jpg

Nice image. What body did you shoot it on?

The 70-200 would not serve me well shooting ringside for wrestling and I don't think VR would really help me while shooting moving subjects that I'm tracking with my camera.

I've never really had an issue with camera shake all my years of shooting concerts with the 80-200.

The 70-200 is a great lens, but I just don't feel I need it right now and it's a little out of my budget.

Nice image. What body did you shoot it on?

The 70-200 would not serve me well shooting ringside for wrestling and I don't think VR would really help me while shooting moving subjects that I'm tracking with my camera.

I've never really had an issue with camera shake all my years of shooting concerts with the 80-200.

The 70-200 is a great lens, but I just don't feel I need it right now and it's a little out of my budget.

VR is a plus, but I was mainly thinking of the f/2.8, super sharpness, and AF accuracy & speed for action photography.

You have done very well Miguel with your D7000 and the kit lens, considering that it is not a lens designed for low light photography. Another case where the D7000 saves the day!
Those are excellent images and they show what can be done with amateur gear when no other resources are available.
I will not comment on Will's shot since he knows his subjects well and his photography is always excellent.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

You have done very well Miguel with your D7000 and the kit lens, considering that it is not a lens designed for low light photography. Another case where the D7000 saves the day!
Those are excellent images and they show what can be done with amateur gear when no other resources are available.
I will not comment on Will's shot since he knows his subjects well and his photography is always excellent.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thanks William.

I don't think gear makes the photographer. It's about knowing how to get the most out of whatever you use. Be it "pro" or "amateur".

I've shot with the pro stuff, but the expense of the gear outweighed the benefit for my needs.

Thanks for you comment.

What focus issues? haha =P

Awesome shots, Miguel! I have to admit, I've never ventured past ISO 1600 on my D7K, looking at your images now, it'll make me comfortable doing so.

Thanks William.

I don't think gear makes the photographer. It's about knowing how to get the most out of whatever you use. Be it "pro" or "amateur".

I've shot with the pro stuff, but the expense of the gear outweighed the benefit for my needs.

Thanks for you comment.

It's because you have a Tamron...........is why the comment was made. Sad.

It's because you have a Tamron...........is why the comment was made. Sad.

LOL...

Funny Tom.

I had the Tamron a few years back, for some reason I got rid of it for the Nikon 17-55. Well, the Tamron was sharper at 2.8 then Nikon. I'm sure people will say I must have had a "bad copy", but it really doesn't matter to me. The Tamron works for me.

And as for the other images posted that were shot with "pro" glass, of course they are better then what the 18-105 can produce. They better be. LOL...

But the point of my original post was just to show what you can achieve with the D7000 and the 18-105. I have no doubt that I could achieve greater results with pro glass, but I'm happy with what I have.

Pro glass or not, those are great shots! I'm coming from a D70s and I love my D7000. I no longer have to use internal flash or my SB600. I can shoot confidently with no flash thanks to the low light capabilities of the D7000

Pro glass or not, those are great shots! I'm coming from a D70s and I love my D7000. I no longer have to use internal flash or my SB600. I can shoot confidently with no flash thanks to the low light capabilities of the D7000

Thanks.

I agree with you. The 7000 is very capable and I love mine.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom