Not displeased, but wanna make 'em pop - 1 pic

Discussion in 'Birds' started by yahtzee, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I'm not super displeased with this shot but I want it to look more vivid, more liquid if you will...I see shots on the pro sites that literally look poured on the page, they are just so rich with color/contrast/sharpness.....what could i have done differently to this pic to have that happen?

Shot with a D70 & 70-200VR.

[​IMG]

2. I think the lack of pop is due to overexposure. You have a blown red channel that gives the shot a "washed out " look. The most effective means of giving an image POP is through nailing exposure and THEN creating some nice mid tone contrast with curves (raising the gamma and maintaining shadow/hilight detail and contrast).

I took the liberty of tweaking your shot. Keep in mind if you have a RAW file it's MUCH easier to recover than the way I did struggling with a small jpeg in PS. :D I did a bunch of curves tweaks and a few other tricks to get exposure lowered on the hot spots (one example is ctrl-shft-alt-(~) then ctrl-j then 50% opacity with multiply blending - this reduces hot spots).

I'll take this shot down when you see it, I just wanted to show you an example of how taming the overexposure adds more pop.

original.

3. OK, cant help myself..........

I figure if Joe can do it, I will give it a go..........only took 5 minutes with it, but like to play.............like the picture, background was distracting so just got rid of it........because I didnt spend much time on it, it turned out ok but could have done much better....

very nice shot btw, talk about a close up!! :shock:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yahtzee,

I agree with Joe that the shot looks a tad hot. I like the original background although the blue one looks fine too. Did you use your histogram to review the exposure after you took the shot? It helps to look, and if you see a spike along the right axis, drop your EV comp a third or two-thirds of a stop or so.

The shot is sharp; you just need to nail the exposure.

Regards,

Frank

5. Very nice shot Yahtzee!! :D :D :D :D :D

6. First off: a very nice shot!
    I agree with the others that mainly it is overexposed.

Other than that, just a reality check: Be sure that the posted pic is in sRGB. If you shoot in adobeRGB (like I do), be sure that:

a) your picture browser is color savvy. If not, it will most likely display anything in sRGB by default, thus looking very dull.

b) you convert to sRGB what you post on the Web. If not, same phenomen as in a). (I am speaking in general terms. I understand there are some ways to show adobeRGB images in a Web environment, but that is for very specific circumstances)