Not exactly the trip I planned - Dubrovnik, Croatia (6 images)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
As many of you know, our 26 day trip to Eastern Europe was cut short when my husband had a heart attack within 4 hours of landing at the airport in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

First, he is doing very well. He was in ICU for 3 days, and we spent a 4th day at the hospital paying our bill! (I'll post another thread on our experience with travel insurance! LOL!) The care he received was excellent, as good or better as we could have gotten in the States.

Second, I cannot emphasize enough how welcoming and caring the Croatians were. Whether it was asking for help in figuring out the local bus system so I could get to and from the hospital, receiving offers to go to the hospital with me and help translate, allowing me to stay in our apartment as long as needed while we were in Dubrovnik (even though it had been rented out to others!), or showing me where I could buy a bottle of wine... the local citizens were wonderful!

Third, Justin and I walked around the old city the day before we flew home. I had about 2.5 hours, dodging rain showers, to capture a few shots of Dubrovnik. Tripod never came out of my luggage. I wasn't really "in the mood" to shoot!

All shots with D800 and 24-120/f4. In this case, the 24-120 was the perfect, do-all lens. I was in no mood to carry both the 14-24 and the 24-70 around! (although I had them with me, and the 70-200, too!)

A few more images on my website HERE

1/500s @ f11, 52mm, ISO 400
_DSC9053-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/350s @ f11, +0.5 comp, 24mm, ISO 400
_DSC9043-X3.jpg

1/90s @ f11, +0.5 comp, 65mm, ISO 100
_DSC9008-X3.jpg

1/90s @ f11, +0.5 comp, 32mm, ISO 100
_DSC9027-X3.jpg

1/750s @ f8, +0.5 comp, 120mm, ISO 400
_DSC9032-X3.jpg

1/180s @ f11, 24mm, ISO 200
_DSC9092-X3.jpg

Howdy Karen,

I'll bet that was quite a shock and so glad to hear that Justin
is fine and received great care.

Also, in these days and times it's good to hear that human compassion
and caring are not completely forgotten. I'm sure that really endeared
you to the City's people even more.

The Images are stunning, and looks like you really captured a good
mix of what this beautiful place has to offer. I also really love the
way the 24-120 worked for you, I've been on the fence about it for
a long while, and am getting where I just can't lug my bag full of lenses
and camera bodies around anymore.

Give our Best to Justin, and Look forward to more images if and when
you have time.

Kindest Regards,

CK

So glad to hear Justin is doing well...!

These images are excellent, looks like an interesting a beautiful place... :smile:

PS:

Loved the images on your website as well... :cool:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Good to hear that it's going well with Justin. I hope you both will be sound and save soon at home. In the meantime try to enjoy your stay as much as possible!
Hope to hear good news from you soon!

Okay, this was not the trip you planned, but you encountered wonderful people in Croatia. They made something very bad into something that you will always remember. I'm so glad that Justin is on the mend and I wish him the best in getting better.

I loved your pictures of that beautiful place. The combo of the D800 and that lens really rock. Those on your website are just spectacular. I really love the first shot in this post. It is awesome!!!!

JPS

Yeahhh ! I'm very happy to know that your husband is well, and that you eventually managed to take a few shots !

Although I'm usually not a fan of filters, I like very much the way you used them in these images... It brings nice memories of Dubrovnik, where I spent a few days a loooong time ago (before the civil war) !

Best regards,
J-P.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Howdy Karen,

I'll bet that was quite a shock and so glad to hear that Justin
is fine and received great care.

Also, in these days and times it's good to hear that human compassion
and caring are not completely forgotten. I'm sure that really endeared
you to the City's people even more.

The Images are stunning, and looks like you really captured a good
mix of what this beautiful place has to offer. I also really love the
way the 24-120 worked for you, I've been on the fence about it for
a long while, and am getting where I just can't lug my bag full of lenses
and camera bodies around anymore.

Give our Best to Justin, and Look forward to more images if and when
you have time.

Kindest Regards,

CK

Thanks, Craig. Good news is that Justin is fine...and we hope to return next year and complete the trip.

So glad to hear Justin is doing well...!

These images are excellent, looks like an interesting a beautiful place... :smile:

PS:

Loved the images on your website as well... :cool:

Thank you! And thanks for checking out my website!

Good to hear that it's going well with Justin. I hope you both will be sound and save soon at home. In the meantime try to enjoy your stay as much as possible!
Hope to hear good news from you soon!

We actually flew home soon after Justin was released from the hospital. We had 1 day instead of 26 days! The Croatian people were very welcoming and caring and the hospital took excellent care of Justin.

Beautiful images, Karen...and under such strain!

Appreciate the encouragement, Tim. Dubrovnik is a very interesting medieval city, especially when the cruise ships are NOT in port!

Best wishes to Justin.

And, by the way, fantastic pictures.

Regards from Germany
Klaus

Thank you, Klaus!

Okay, this was not the trip you planned, but you encountered wonderful people in Croatia. They made something very bad into something that you will always remember. I'm so glad that Justin is on the mend and I wish him the best in getting better.

I loved your pictures of that beautiful place. The combo of the D800 and that lens really rock. Those on your website are just spectacular. I really love the first shot in this post. It is awesome!!!!

Hi, Donna! You are soooo right! The owner of the apartment where we stayed has even invited us back (in the off season) so we can see her beautiful country and people....and she offered us lodging for FREE! Such a generous offer...

Yeahhh ! I'm very happy to know that your husband is well, and that you eventually managed to take a few shots !

Although I'm usually not a fan of filters, I like very much the way you used them in these images... It brings nice memories of Dubrovnik, where I spent a few days a loooong time ago (before the civil war) !

Best regards,
J-P.

Hello, J-P! Hope all is going well after your move!

It had rained for 2 days before I got a chance to shoot, so the red tiled roofs were a very rich red!

The filters I used were tonal contrast and sometimes Pro Contrast and a slight vignette in Nik's Color Efex Pro software. Amazing what a difference contrast can make in an image!

I also like the pictures you posted here, Karen. I plan to browse more on your website.
Good to hear your husband is doing better.
Croatia is on our list of possibilities next year for our 25th anniversary.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Your photos are marvelous, Karen, and you made the best of a very stressful situation. I'm glad Justin is on the mend; that's the most important thing. The rest of your trip can wait until he's all better!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I also like the pictures you posted here, Karen. I plan to browse more on your website.
Good to hear your husband is doing better.
Croatia is on our list of possibilities next year for our 25th anniversary.

Thank you, Mark! Although we didn't get to see much of Croatia, I researched it quite a bit. We had planned to rent a car and spend 2 weeks seeing Croatia and Slovenia. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Best wishes to Justin. You must have been so worried. Very beautiful photos you made, especially seen the circumstances.

Appreciate it, JanJacob. Justin is doing well....he is probably healthier now than before the stent. Glad you liked the images.

Your photos are marvelous, Karen, and you made the best of a very stressful situation. I'm glad Justin is on the mend; that's the most important thing. The rest of your trip can wait until he's all better!

After 5 days of being at the hospital, it WAS nice for Justin and I just to walk around the old city! I left 95% of my gear in the room and just grabbed the D800 and the 24-120. 2.5 hours as a tourist...then we flew home the next day. We hope to try again next year!

I wasn´t aware of your drama, Karen! Best wishes to your husband!

Your shots are (as usual) and specially under your difficult conditions, very nice. Only a question - did you process it using any kind of Topaz / NIK filters?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Gorgeous photos

Appreciate the comment, Jim!

I wasn´t aware of your drama, Karen! Best wishes to your husband!

Your shots are (as usual) and specially under your difficult conditions, very nice. Only a question - did you process it using any kind of Topaz / NIK filters?

Hi, Rui!

Yes, it was a crazy 8 days, with only one day somewhat "normal"! I actually used my camera for only about 2.5 hours during those 8 days.

Justin is doing very well. He met with a cardiologist yesterday who was extremely impressed with the care Justin got in Croatia. In Croatia, and much of Europe, the procedures used are much more advanced than in the U.S.

Regarding processing, I simply used the tonal contrast filters in Nik. Amazing how much detail they can reveal. That was in addition to correcting lens distortions and sharpening ...

Those are great, good compositions, I like #4 as my fav.

Thank you! Our little apartment was right off the Stradun!

Latest threads

Top Bottom