Not happy with Nikon repair...what should I do?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JMontes, Oct 4, 2008.

1. So before I do anything rash over the phone with Nikon, I figured I'd throw this on the table. I have a 105mm f/2 DC lens that is front focusing. I have tried it on 2 different cameras, my D2X and D200. Does the same thing on both cameras. My 24-70, 70-200, 12-24, a sigma 18-50, and my now gone 300mm f/4 all focus spot on with these cameras...no issues. I sent it to Nikon and they checked it to the tune of $191 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: The lens is still doing it....so unless all my other lenses are screwed up in screwy sync with my other 2 screwed up cameras, I think Nikon has REALLY done me wrong here. They say "lens is fine". Does it really cost $191 to determine a lens is "fine"? I can't get a picture in sharp focus on a tripod to save my life...takes over f/3.5 to get the eye in focus "somewhat". At f/2 of f/2.8, forget it...you only get the lips in focus (and boy are they sharp). No, the lens is not under warrranty. Focus is fast, lens appears fine, but this thing definitely front focuses on both my cameras and it is absolutely repeatable.

So, what are the odds they tested this with a D3 or D300 and "fine tuned" it to say it's fine? I'm really angry here....Nikon took me for a ride and I just don't know what to do at the moment.

What would you do?

2. Hi John.... First, I would contact Nikon service and let them know of your issue. If that does nothing, I would ask to speak to the service manager. If that does nothing, I would escalate it further... Not right!

3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Now you've got me scared to send my lens to Nikon for repair!!!

4. Problem is Nikon dont have a clue, thats the saddest part when it comes to the DC lenses...

Cause MANY times these lenses simply dont perform out of the box, and not all Nikon service centers/personal knows how to "fix" this lens.

I got my first copy back with a bill and it stated it was fine.When i picked it up i told them im not gonna pay simple as that. They said ok, and i returned the lens to the dealer.

Got a second copy a few months later, same thing. This time they didnt charge me, and they where half sucessful in fixing it. Meaning when DC was set to neutral it was as it "sharpest" and focus seem to be "correct" however compared to my first copy (wich had to put in F2/r to get correct focus, it wasnt as sharp) So i sold it.

So its common, and i would refuse to pay, now it helps that i can walk in in person. And if you have that possibility i would do that, bring camera and lens, and ask them to read the manual ,and now shoot a few test snaps for you...:wink:

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

this is the main reason i passed on this lens....sorry John..;-(

6. I will contact them tomorrow and let them know I'm not happy with their service..you can't charge a customer nearly $200 and say "we found nothing wrong". If you find nothing wrong, I expect a bill of roughly $20.....not $200.

7. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Thats not the correct thinking.

For nearly $200, it must be fixed, period. Tell them this time your sending it back to be fixed at no additional charge, since you already paid for a repair they didn't do.

8. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    John--- I bought this lens over 2 weeks ago. Straight out of the box it was front focusing like crazy. I turned around and sent it to Nikon. It is on it's way back to me and they say it's fine. It's not. Not on my D80, my D300 or my D700. Problem now is that it's been over 2 weeks and B&H won't take it back.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Sonya was having the same issue w/ hers and sent hers in as well.

9. Wow....this really sucks...I will keep this thread updated to let everyone know what happens. I hate to think that I have a lens that I can't use until I get a D3/D300/D700. Nobody should have to buy a camera that can adjust to a lens....ridiculous.

10. If you are using the D700, you can fine tune the AF specifically for this lens.
    Anyone know what the OP was using for camera body?

11. Fine tune is the word, and it is and should be the very last resort until you can get Nikon to fix it. For images where the focus simply is off "fine tune" wont do you much good.

12. Okay, talked to them and they gave me a label to send it back in. Let's see how they do this time. I am writing up a very detailed report on what it's doing and how to replicate it.

13. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    hey good luck and let us know how it pans out.