1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Not much mention of Nikon 12-24 f4.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by scout1, Mar 14, 2011.

1. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    I've noticed through searches that there is not a whole lot of mention of the Nikon 12-24 f4 lens. Alot of members talk of the Tokina in this range and the Nikon 14-24 f2.8. What's up with the Nikon 12-24?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm giving serious thought of purchasing this lens to complement my Nikon 17-55 f2.8. Would this be a useful combination ? I want to stay with the Nikon brand and the 14-24 is a little steep.

I shoot a D300 and have several 2.8 long glass lenses but nothing wider then the 17-55.

Thanks, Jim

2. DavidKvapil

DavidKvapil

Dec 17, 2008
    Boise, ID
    The 12-24 is a great compliment to the 17-55. I sold my 17-55 when I bought my 12-24 and have regretted it ever since. The 12-24 is a great little lens, and fantastically sharp all the way from f/4. You would not regret it.

3. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Thanks for the information, that's what I'm hoping to hear about the 12-24. Also with regards to teaming it up with 17-55.

4. I'm happy with my Nikon 12-24 f/4, even though I don't use it as well as its previous owner :) 

I can't compare it against other wide angle lenses, since I don't own those. There are times it would be nice to be wider. There are also a lot of times that having 24mm means that I can cover a wide variety of subjects without carrying a second lens with me.

There were a lot of great threads on the Nikkor 12-24 on the site. It might be useful to use advanced search, and search for older threads rather than newer threads. The 12-24 has been out for many years. One is at:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=74009&highlight=nikkor+12-24+f/4

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Ah,dah. I hadn't thought of using advanced search. I haven't pulled the trigger on it but I'm close. Still doing the research and justifying the expense.

6. Ryan Karr

Ryan Karr

Feb 25, 2011
    Calgary AB
    Take a serious look at the 10-24mm as well. The difference between 10 & 12mm on DX is huge. 10-24 is a little faster on the wide end where it will be used the most, similar performance and its cheaper as well. When I shot DX I had 10-24mm, 17-55mm 2.8, and a Tokina 50-135mm 2.8. That was a perfect kit.

7. Lumagent Morple

Lumagent Morple

Feb 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Don't forget to check out the Tokina. I owned both, and thought they had very similar image quality (as in, I couldn't tell a difference between the two). The build quality of the Tokina is slightly better in my opinion, and I think it's even cheaper than the Nikon.

8. I looked at the 12-24 and bought the 10-24. As previously stated, that 2mm at the wide end makes a big difference om DX. I've had the 10-24 since it first came out and couldn't be happier. While I've heard good things about the Tokina 11-16, the 1/2 stop faster at the wide end (where I most often use the lens), doesn't matter to me and the wider zoom range is very useful. I tend to use most UWA at f8 to bring out the extreme DOF anyway.

9. The reason why you hear more about the Tokina 12-24 f4 is because it has become a very popular lens at a very reasonable price.
    Indeed, the Tokina 12-24 f4 is a very good optic but in my experience it is not better than its Nikon counterpart and I am not talking about anything scientific here, my statement is based on what I have seen from using both lenses.
    You cannot go wrong using either one.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

10. Cryptic

Cryptic

Jan 22, 2009
    Vienna, VA
    Psst- look into the Sigma 8-16mm, as well!

11. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. ebsund

ebsund

Oct 27, 2008
    Norway
    The nikon 12-24mm deserves some more credit IMHO, so I added some pictures to the above thread.

regards,
    Eirik

13. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    That thread is simply amazing, thanks. And since I'm a bit of smart*** myself I can appreciate the your comments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.