Not Nikon but pretty sharp

Finally some sun! Hand held Sigma 105, f8 1/320 ISO 200
I cropped it a bit funny as I loved the sharp leaf hairs. I was asked where was the sun. This plant is facing east and the sun was just coming over our garage and I believe it is a Darwin Tulip. The petals are funny and I did no surgery on the tulip. :)

470347870_c718b877c2_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely shot and very, very sharp. I'm very fond of my Sigma 105 as well. Great lens.

very nice shot.. from another 105 sigma owner.. might have to make a trip your way one weekend... wife also wants to go to the dutch store that is in Litchfield.. we are going out of town this weekend.. but will try to make plans in the near future.. the birding spot you are talking about.. do we need to bring feed for the birds???

very nice shot.. from another 105 sigma owner.. might have to make a trip your way one weekend... wife also wants to go to the dutch store that is in Litchfield.. we are going out of town this weekend.. but will try to make plans in the near future.. the birding spot you are talking about.. do we need to bring feed for the birds???

The entrance is about 300 yards from the Dutch Bakery. :smile: Plenty of food there no need to bring any. You will see the usual but nice and close. There are Jays, Finches, Chickadees, Juncos, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Grackles, Cowbirds and Red Winged BB. Right near by you will see YB Sap Suckers and a Pileated WoodPecker (maybe). I'll PM you witha URL

Beautiful shot. I am impressed that it was handheld. You must have a really steady hand.

Most quality lenses from any particular brand (In Sigma's case their "EX" line) macro primes in the 105mm are plenty sharp. As a matter of fact, they are probably way ahead of the photographic capabilities of most photographers. In John's case, I bet his technique is excellent.

If anyone ever gets the desire, go check out the photographs by Arnab P. Das (I don't think he inhabits here, but at photo.net and filmlives.net) who takes absolutely blazingly sharp macro images with third-party macro primes (Kiron's, Vivitars, ect) People drool over his images and immediately want to buy whatever lens he happens to use in whatever image he posts. Funny thing is, most people don't even bother asking how he actually goes about getting the images.

http://filmlives.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=249

John,

That shot is so sharp I swear it put a scratch on my monitor screen!
I'm in need of a macro lens and will definitely look into the Sigma. Thanks for showing this.

Pretty amazing photo, esp if handheld!!! Look forward to more.

Thanks all for the comments. I badly need a tripod. I have a slik 212 but I use it only on occasion. Dave commented on this too (hand held). Sometimes I wake up and just need to go clicking. I felt so guilty I had to check out the exif to be sure the data was right. When I do use the tripod I feel it robs me of the serendipity of my adventure. Crawling on my belly on the wet grass makes me feel nature-like.

Latest threads

Top Bottom