Not so unusual....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, these are just a collection of BYB's that just about everyone has, but with all of the great posts from my Cafe friends, I just can't sit on the sidelines any longer. :rolleyes:

All taken with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.7 TC.

First, some of some yacky Bluejays.

Just yacking:
    [​IMG]

Hiding:
    [​IMG]

Posing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just had to add this one. After seeing Andy's work with fill flash, and having nothing better to do than work on my FF technique, I shot this guy with the sun very much in front of the camera. I was pretty happy with the results. :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

And now some fuzzy tree rats.

My favorite back yard perch (at ISO640):
    [​IMG]

In a supplicant posture:
    [​IMG]

A couple of Mocker shots:

Glaring:
    [​IMG]

Mysterious:
    [​IMG]

Just a Robin:
    [​IMG]

And finally, a colorful Starling:
    [​IMG]

More to come. :smile:

2. Really Very Nice Frank

Every one is a winner

3. What can I say? BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Your skills shine brightly here, just as when you're shooting BIF!! Beautiful!

4. Excellent please keep them coming, that is how I improve....

5. Wel I have nothing to answer with, these look awesome!!! Maybe I should just quit shooting (not!) Nice to see you are setting the bar high!!

6. Nice series Frank. I don't see too many 'jays....just the "scrubs". Did yoiu get these out in the boat? *-)

7. Hey, Frank, I really like the light on the FF birdy, pretty cool. And catching the iridescence on the Starling is quite neat as well. I like 'em.

8. I especially like the Starling. A very noisy if colourful bird that when roosting in very large numbers make incredible patterns in the evening sky.

Bob F.

9. Very nice work Frank.

10. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Very nice series Frank.I especially the jays

11. Very nice Frank! Did you use a flash on these?

Anthony

12. WOW Flewy! Seeing shots like these makes me wanna put a paper sack over my head! Beautiful in every way! And I thought my blue jay was good! Geez, I think I have a loooooonnnnngggggg way to go!

13. You did some great hunting again Frank, excellent - as usual!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Anthony. I used flash only on the last Jay shot. The rest were taken in pretty good early sunlight.

15. Great set Frank. The Starling almosts jumps off the page.

Louie

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All great fleweyyyyyyyyyyy

I love 3 Hiding:>))))

17. Frank, all I can say is perfection. These are amazing and the light and poses are so very nice. Well done.

18. Frank,
    I really love these photos. I love the Blue Jay with Fill Flash.

Are you using SB-800 itself or products like Better Beamer etc. to supplement it?
    Thanks

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sam,

In this case I used the SB-800 with the BB, mounted on a tripod to get it as far away from the lens centerline as possible, and attached to the camera with an SC-28 cord. Since I was shooting out of my office window (screen removed), that gave only about 2.5 feet of separation, but it does eliminate the red-eye (actually the blue-eye :rolleyes:).

Thanks,

20. Thanks a lot for useful tips from experts like you.