Not Sure How I Feel About This.... (NEW ADDED)

Discussion in 'People' started by LauraJohnston, Jun 17, 2007.

1. original.

I took it yesterday while crying. Haha. I know I look kind of retarded because I'm crying but is it otherwise too blah? I need to practice portraits. I was sitting beside a window so grabbed my camera and how convenient.

NEW VERSION:
    I think I like this more. Thoughts?
    original.

View attachment 101183

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Touching image, for some reason just got into me and don't want to get out... As you can imagine, I loved it :biggrin: and, no you don't look retarded at all - I just think is a great image!

3. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    An emotive and beautiful image. Not spectacular, but IMO not blah BECAUSE you are crying.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

why r u crying?

5. because my mom randomly abandoned my family and i hadn't heard from her in months until yesterday

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sorry to hear about this ...hopefully things will get better,,,bless

7. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

very emotional picture...

aided more with the processing and the story...

I love this...

8. Laura, I like the cropping and desaturation. I have not played with it, but I think it might look a little better with more contrast. Just a guess, but what do I know:confused:

An image like this has so much more meaning when the story behind it comes forth. This is an image that years from now you may come across and relive the day all over again.

If it means anything to you... my prayers for the outcome of this reuniting to be a positive one, such that when you come across this image it brings smiles instead of tears.

9. thank you all.

i was looking through photos earlier and I found and scanned this one. although it seems like a snapshot it is so much more than that for me. it was taken when i first began to notice some changes with my mom which lead ultimately to her leaving. i can just see the pain in her eyes.

mom-.

10. Logan

Logan Guest

hard thing to go through

11. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I am so sorry about your mother Laura. I apologize for my comment - I never would have posted it had I known.

12. It's amazing how people feel comfortable to pour their hearts out at the Cafe. Too bad we all aren't hanging out in reality. It would be a gathering for the ages.

Always sorry to know my friends suffer.

13. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    so profound Woody...

14. it's ok, guys.. i just don't feel like I have to hide things from the world. i'm a pretty open and truthful person.

15. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    This thread has brought a tear to my eye, sorry for your feelings and situation Laura,

Wade

16. Stark and raw image. I could feel the pain in your eyes before I read your story.

A true B&W with more contrast would have put me over the edge.

17. This is a great shot Laura!!! The emotion expressed is amazing. Sad story, but great shot!!

18. thanks guys. ill experiment with the shot.. putting it BW and more contrast, etc and post some different versions

19. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Laura, the sepia does it more for me than the B&W. I would just play around with the levels and curves to bring out better contrast, and possibly dodging around the tear to emphasize it.

I think the composition is great, and your eyes are really emoting.

I hope everything works out for you... all the best.

20. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Laura, I really really like the shot and the processing. I saw the shot, read the reason why and am compelled to tell you that while I'm sitting at my desk, looking at this picture, the title "Why, Mom?" came to mind. Just words that popped into my head but I bet a lot of people could really relate. I empathize with you. Thanks for sharing such intimate feelings.