Not sure I understand Nikon's logic

I don't understand why Nikon would introduce another, less costly, FF so closely on the heels of the D3 and not update their D80 which is showing its age. Maybe it was just fairly easy from an engineering standpoint to stick a FF sensor in a 300 body but from a sales and profit perspective I would think that they would want to get the D90 online as soon as possible. I guess that shows how much I know.

I think consumer SLRs tend to be announced either in the lead-up to or announcement phase of the major conferences, or the holiday season. We are currently a few months away from Photokina, which is the next major conference. I'm not surprised at all. Pro DSLRs are sort of to the beat of their own drum... many announced in the summer.

Photokina will bring us more consumer-oriented stuff--just in time for Christmas!!!!

Hold on to your money and credit cards! HO HO HO!

I agree. Nikon would have been highly motivated to get the 700 into as many hands as possible prior to Beijing - hence the off schedule release.

Photokina will likely reveal more consumer oriented products. Maybe even the anticipated D3x since it won't be terribly relevant to sports shooters.

T

TonyBeach

The D700 fills a missing niche while an update to the D80 does not (that niche is already filled by the D80). The profit margins on the D700 may well be much greater than on the D90 (which occupies a more competitive consumer market); in part because the only competition for the D700 is coming from the now old 5D, and in part because there is more profit in selling a $3000 camera than a $1000 camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TonyBeach

This is NOT a 300 body. Not even close. This is a magnesium alloy body with all the weather seals.

I strongly doubt there will be any difference in the weather seals between the D200, D300, and D700.

The D300 is like the N90 used to be.

Bogus. The digital N90 equivalent is the D80 or eventual D90. You must be missing the numbering comparison completely to make such unsubstantiated assertions as you are making here.

It [the D700] is built to be durable, to take some knocks and keep on ticking. For heavy duty sports and wildlife, this will be a great camera.

Where did you get this misinformation that the D700 is somehow different than the D300 (or the D200)?

I applaud Nikon for finally bringing me my digital F100!

Some like myself, consider the the D300 the digital version of the F100 -- in terms of features and image quality that's a fair comparison except that they are different formats; the D700 exceeds the image quality of the F100 and shares its format.

This is NOT a 300 body. Not even close. This is a magnesium alloy body with all the weather seals. It fills the niche Nikon used to occupy in the film world of the F100. The D300 is like the N90 used to be. I didn't upgrade from the D200 to the D300 - I bought the D3 first and boy am I glad I did. The D700 will be a perfect complement to the D3. In extreme dusty or wet conditions I wouldn't pull the D200 out - it just couldn't keep the weather out. But I will not hesitate with the D700 just like I have never hesitated with my F5, F100, D2h, D2x, and the D3. It is built to be durable, to take some knocks and keep on ticking. For heavy duty sports and wildlife, this will be a great camera.

This camera fills a niche. A niche many of us have been waiting to be filled. It is not for everybody. But it is different than anything out there. The comparisons I see are to the Canon 5D. But that camera is intended for studio work and doesn't have the magnesium body or the weather seals.

I applaud Nikon for finally bringing me my digital F100!

-cw

Another post claiming the 200/300 isn't a "pro" body when Nikon clearly claims it is. The 700 IS the full frame 300 with the necessary changes made to the viewfinder. For the record, the 200/300 is made with a metal frame and is well weather sealed.

Another post claiming the 200/300 isn't a "pro" body when Nikon clearly claims it is. The 700 IS the full frame 300 with the necessary changes made to the viewfinder. For the record, the 200/300 is made with a metal frame and is well weather sealed.

Do you have a source that says they're all weather sealed? I'd like to take my D300 out this weekend (seriously) it's going to rain.

C

Cathy W.

Deleted my post. You can see what I said in others that quoted me. The D300 is a great camera. The D700 will be a great camera. People need to stop getting so offended about everything. Thanks for reminding me why I don't visit these sites much. People think it's ok to leave their manners at the door way too often on the internet.

-cw

T

TonyBeach

Deleted my post. You can see what I said in others that quoted me. The D300 is a great camera. The D700 will be a great camera. People need to stop getting so offended about everything. Thanks for reminding me why I don't visit these sites much. People think it's ok to leave their manners at the door way too often on the internet.

-cw

Well, I just deleted my reply to your erroneous post. I would prefer that your post was not deleted even if I respectfully disagree with what you wrote.

Hmm, I must've missed something. I didn't see anything untoward. I only saw an error posted (that suggested the 300 wasn't a "pro" body) and was summarily corrected.

By in large, this particular group is very respectful and socially appropriate. We just tend to make sure erroneous information is labeled as such.

Do you have a source that says they're all weather sealed? I'd like to take my D300 out this weekend (seriously) it's going to rain.

Well, I've seen numerous posts on here quoting variuos Nikon literature making this claim. In my D200 manual, there is a least one reference to it being "dust and weather sealed". Take that for what its worth, though. Since the camera isn't actually called "waterproof", they've left themselves a nice big loophole in the event of moisture incursion...

I don't understand why Nikon would introduce another, less costly, FF so closely on the heels of the D3 and not update their D80 which is showing its age. Maybe it was just fairly easy from an engineering standpoint to stick a FF sensor in a 300 body but from a sales and profit perspective I would think that they would want to get the D90 online as soon as possible. I guess that shows how much I know.

My typical flip response would be because they can. But I'm sure it's a money thing. A friend of mine was asking the same question but from a different position. He got his D300 after having a D70s for less than a year before just before the '07 holiday. He wondered, for Nikon to release the D700 this soon (an FX body) when the D300 hasn't been out really all that long raised the question is the D300 crippled in some way? Because he would have paid the additional $1200 for a D700 since his D300 was about $1800. A much smaller fiancial leap to FX than making the move to a D3 when you consider size & weight as a factor along with other features a non-pro may not care about.

I told him I think people will still go for the D300 because they won't be willing to part with $3k and FF doesn't mean as much to them. From what I've heard and read, the D300 has great high ISO performance, focuses fast and users are really happy with it. Just because the D700 is being released with a price bump he's willing to pay doesn't mean he should feel shorted on the D300.

But hey what do I know, I was still using my Pentax Super Program and Pentax ME Super that I bought in the mid 80s because I couldn't afford AF let alone digital until recently.

Nikon does not claim the D200/D300 are pro bodies, in fact, through inference, they claim just the opposite. Nikon states that they do not offer extended warranties on their Pro bodies, but they offer one for the D200/D300.

Most call the D200D3// prosumer bodies. Obviously a lot of pros shoot with the D200/D300.

T

TonyBeach

Nikon does not claim the D200/D300 are pro bodies, in fact, through inference, they claim just the opposite.

Your inference is not evidence. Look up NPS requirements and you will see that owning two pro bodies are part of that and the D200 and D300 qualify.

Latest threads

Top Bottom