Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Aho

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Korpii

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
So I have been thinking of changing my surname into a simple more phonetical one, because of all the problems I have had with mine since I started managing my own things.

You might ask why, and I will gladly tell you. I have the surname Tomlinson-Bell. Surely not hard to get wrong? guess again. My first drivers licence was issued Thompson-Belle, my medic card was issue as Thompkinson-Beal, and my insurance health card as Thomasson-bell.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, I have had many less important things mis-spell my name. I tend to spell it out over the telephone twice, and they still get it wrong.

in fact if you're wondering. The insurance company fixed the issue within a week. the driving licence took 2 months to fix, and my medicare card took 5 months... in fact the driving licence center renewed me a new card under the wrong surname yet again...

I'm honestly fed up with it, so I've been looking through family surnames of the bygone, and found two I like because of their simplicity. Though they probably sound funny to any anglophone. which is kind of why I'm asking you guys for opinions.

Aho - means glade, though im sure some anglo's will think it sounds like a shortened vulgar word.

Korpii - means Wilderness, though you might think it sounds like corpse. though im sure you wouldn't with the way i pronounce with a trilled r.

What do you guys think?

Smith :biggrin:

None is a strange name.:tongue:
Smith is too common, not just that but it removes my nordic roots. Which I'm not keen on. The reason i was considering these two is simply because they are not common, and it's still easy to find me on the database.

I'm the only person in USA, England, and Australia with this current surname.

Mate this is a really Komplex situation if i were your father i would be extremely disappionted that you wanted to change your name just because people misunderstand the spelling.

How about "Bell".

Both of the alternatives open yourself up to some, though maybe light-hearted, ridicule.

Be proud of your name, it is your heritage.
I live with a fairly difficult name each and every day. Folks get it wrong all the time, I could fill a museum with all the ways it has been written.
I don't care and I definitely would not want to change a thing about it. It is who I am.

Mate this is a really Komplex situation if i were your father i would be extremely disappionted that you wanted to change your name just because people misunderstand the spelling.
It would be rather hard to be disappointed, when my surname is not his.

Keep your real name.

I have a very annoying and difficult to pronounce last name. It's 12 characters, don't sound like anything convenient in western tongue and people spell or hear it wrong all the time, but I wouldn't change it.

I was a teacher. My last name is Funk. Can you guess the playground variation? Any time I'm on the phone and have to say my name it's automatic to spell it right away. Keep your name as it is.

I say keep it but in all honesty do whatever you want. At some age you may regret it. My name is slaughtered every day and really doesn't bother me. I guess with me the family name carries more weight than the convenience of a simpler name. But again, do whatever you want and good luck.

Kinda hard to get good opinions on an Internet forum where we don't know you personally... I vote: keep what you've got. My wife and I both grew up with good old Dutch names, I can't remember one time someone not related got either name right in the first, oh, 3 tries, but we have learned to live with them. :smile:

I was a teacher. My last name is Funk. Can you guess the playground variation? Any time I'm on the phone and have to say my name it's automatic to spell it right away. Keep your name as it is.
Did you ever consider singing blues or soul music?

My father had no middle name. At the insistence of various authority that he fill in the blank, and with his honest nature, his middle name eventually became None.

My first name is Jim. Many authority translate this to James. I consistently correct them, and I live with that.

My last name is short , a single syllable, but difficult to spell. I am constantly needing to correct people in spelling and pronunciation. No big deal, really.

You are not alone in dealing with others ineptness with less than common names. Keep what you've got and be proud of it's uniqueness. Any difficulties with it are the problem of others.

I have a long European last name that is constantly misspelled.

I watched my uncle order take out once as a teenager and he gave his name as Smith over the phone. I asked him why he did that and he gave me the obvious answer. I found it an ingenious way to get around the issue and I do the same thing now.

Having my name misspelled on important documents would be a pain though.

As for your situation I'd keep your name. As others have said - it's a part of who you are.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Aho - means glade, though im sure some anglo's will think it sounds like a shortened vulgar word.
Well, if you think your business or pleasure might bring you to Japan, then I think you should avoid Aho. Aho in Japanese is a synonym for baka which means stupid or idiot.

My nine-letter Japanese surname gave me plenty of trouble growing up in the U.S., but I wouldn't change it even if I still lived there.

How about just Tomlinson?

And the 'Korpi' is spelled with just one 'i' at the end, in finnish.

I have had the same problems you do, since I live in a finnish-speaking country but my name is swedish. My surname only has 7 letters but it mind boggling how many ways people invent to misspell it.

My father had no middle name. At the insistence of various authority that he fill in the blank, and with his honest nature, his middle name eventually became None.
How bizarre. I too have no middle name - never had any trouble. It's great when filling out lots of forms, saves time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom