Not your typical Honker shot

I was at the pond Wednesday last, waiting for activity from the ducks and geese, only to be rewarded by nada. Nary a flying bird. I think that the disc golfers playing around the pond on their new course may have had something to do with it.

In any case, I finally gave up as the sun approached the horizon, and headed back to the other side of the pond where my truck was parked. I put my gear up, and was talking to one of the disc golfers that I know, when a flight of geese came swooping down the pond. I grabbed the D2H out of the truck and ran towards the pond, and got off a few shots that I knew were going to be crappy. I was right. I can't hand hold this cam with the 300 2.8 and 1.4 TC under the best conditions.

When I reviewed the shots later, I saw what I expected; a bunch of underexposed, dark, noisy geese. One shot though caught my attention. I've processed it best I could, and it is still underexposed and noisy, but I thought it looked pretty cool. You may disagree, but here it is anyhow. 8)

28514107-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just love the way the setting sun shows through the feathers. :wink:

Kneeling down...arms extended....bowing up and down...while saying, "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!!!"

Probably one of the finest shots that I have ever seen!!! Excellant Job Frank!!!!!

C'mon guys, it ain't that good. Besides, it was just a lucky shot out of a dozen really bad ones. 8)

Thanks for the nice words though. I do like it. :lol:

Frank ,

THAT IS A FANTASTIC SHOT.

Very beautiful. Could not have been better light. You are right the sun through the wings is perfect.

PGB

Flew said:
C'mon guys, it ain't that good. Besides, it was just a lucky shot out of a dozen really bad ones. 8)

Your right Frank, it ain't that good..

NOT

Its spectacular.

You make me sick :)

Frank

Beautiful shot Frank, really like the dark tones and how the feathers are highlighted with the sun. Luv the mood...........awesome!!!

Frank, stop talking modestly, we know after you made the shot you were doing the dance! Dont deny it!!!! :wink: :p

46218736.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks again guys. I will admit that I did a 'whoa' when I saw this one while looking through the images when I got home. Still a lucky shot though. :roll:

Keith, you're a nut. You know, this shot would have been even better with a 400 2.8. Just let me know if you ever want to part with that baby. 8)

Frank -- that is a great shot! When you're not expecting good results and hit on a beautiful lighting situation like that it makes a whole day of limited shooting worthwhile! I really like the image!

B

bfjr

Sweet Light , gives this shot some real drama. The noise to me only adds to the drama.
Great catch, way to go !!!!

What a shot Frank!!!! I don't think the noise detracts from that image at all. It goes well with the twilight mood. The lighting on the feathers is fantastic!!!

Not your typical shot is right! It's full of noise and a bit muddy looking alright, but it has "it" (the light and the magic moment), and that's all that matters, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing this great image, Frank. :lol:

D

dbirdsong

Patrick Bramlett said:
Flew said:

Your right Frank, it ain't that good..

NOT

Its spectacular.

You make me sick :)

Let me add an Amen to this post!

G

Gordon Large

Frank -

I love this shot! :lol: You captured the goose with great wing positions, and can't recall ever seeing late light like that shining through Canada goose feathers. Not your basic classic shot, but IMO this type of shot is usually better.

Gordon

Frank,
Sometimes luck DOES work, especially if it is backed up with your talent! Right place, right time, magic light--it all comes together. Besides, I suspect darned good and well this pic was heavily planned and organized to get such a shot :D . Most excellent!
Jerry Snider

Oh wow, do I like this sucker!!! Just sweet as can be! :shock: :shock: :shock:

There is a way to stretch the front out to give him more room. I tried it once and it works, that would make this even more a killer!

Congrats on this one!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom