Not your usual wedding shoot...

Discussion in 'People' started by Jetta32696, Jul 20, 2007.

1. I was blessed with the opportunity to shoot a traditional Muslim wedding for the first time ever. I have to say I was very concerned as I didn't know what to expect. No rehearsal, no "formal" bridal party, no shots of the bride getting ready, basically just a quick explanation of the setup and a tour of the Masjid where the wedding took place.

My team and I got welcomed with open arms and they made us feel like family. We had to shoot the entire ceremony without shoes (not allowed in the prayer area), and that was an experience in itself. The reception was in a huge outdoor tent with about 600 guests, and more than enough activity to keep us busy...

Overall it was a great day, and we had a great time, in addition to getting quite a few shots that the B&G loved. Enough of that, on to the photos...just a few though...

All shots with either d2hs or d70 and a my "magic 3" - 70-200vr, 85 1.4, and 28-70....

Comments always welcome...on to the pics for real this time!!

The Grooms sister:
    [​IMG]

Do I need to explain???
    [​IMG]

During a moment of prayer...
    [​IMG]

Another one during prayer - Groom in the middle, vignette added in post
    [​IMG]

Last minute touchup before being introduce to the guests for the first time...yes the highlights are a little blown, I know...

[​IMG]

One of the happy couple on the way in...
    [​IMG]

An cutesy moment with one of the little people... :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

2. Keith,

Beautiful shots of some lovely people. I really like the one of the 3 women during prayer. Tried to find the EXIF (via Opanda right-click) but it's not there. Mind sharing? Flash used?

3. Thanks Gretchen!!! It was a great evening. All shots with flash, depending on lens I was shooting at 1/60th ranging from 2.8 to around 5.6...

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very well done
    Beautiful wedding
    That last shot is not a cutsey. That is a shot of a lifetime memory.
    That is one wonderful image

5. very lovely shots...that is a beautiful bride, whoever picked out the flowers did a great job to contrast the white.

6. Thanks Gale!! I appreciate that. I didn't mean to downplay the power in the image, but it is very cute as well. :smile: I think the little guy is the bride's cousin.

Thank you Chris. I actually just met with the B&G on Wednesday to deliver their images to them, and they were ecstatic. At the end of the day, if they're happy, I'm happy with the results.

As far as the flowers, the bride's dress was actually supposed to be that color....and about 6 others as well, but she opted for white at the last minute. :biggrin:

7. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Keith,

Those are AWESOME! The colors and lighting are great. I like how everything has a very natural look. It is almost like they are just memories of what happened. Then again, they ARE memories of what happened :wink: Great job, they are going to love them!

Little Cub

8. Thanks Little Cub! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Each day is a learning experience for me, thanks to the many men and women here who have assisted in my photographic growth!!!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    It is cute, but goes way beyond:>)))))

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Wow these are all so beautiful Keith. Your timing on the last one was perfect - all the "Candid Sniper" work paid off in a big way.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You have a team now?

These are all as good as anybody could ever do, Keith! How did you know how much flash to use? They look very natural.

12. Dub kid you just brought tears to my eyes.... beautiful.

13. Well done Keith, your photography is excellent.

14. I was thinking the same thing, whats your flash technique/settings? I have very hit and miss results with flash and they nearly always look 'flashed' which I hate.

15. I concur!!! :biggrin:

Thanks Fred. You know me, I'm usually waiting for "that" shot...sometimes it takes all day, that one was after the reception and he was saying good bye...

Thank you Steve. I almost ALWAYS use flash when shooting indoors. For me, it's all about experimentation even during shooting. I never really know until after that first shot at a location. Then I adjust up or down accordingly...

Michael, I didn't know one of my photos could do that, but I'm glad that you were touched by one. Thank you so much!!!

Thanks alot Gordon!!! I gotta thank everyone here for tips and tricks on how to improve!! I would still be shooting in Program mode if it wasn't for Nikon Cafe.

Richard, my settings are pretty basic for indoor shooting. Spot metering on camera, flash on TTL, typically my shutter speed stays around 1/60th, and aperture goes from 1.4 to around 5.6, but usually not higher than that.

16. Did you have the flash raised on a bracket with a diffuser/soft box or was it bounced flash ?

17. I'm curious about which country they were all from? Nice job on capturing the moments! Love that last photo!

18. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    You did very well, Keith. Nice series. The cutesy moment is absolutely wonderful.

19. Thanks Desmond. Yes, flash on a bracket with diffuser included w/SB800.

\

Thank you Dianne. It's hard to say... There were people there from EVERYWHERE!!! I met some Israelis, Pakistanis, Indians (from India), Egyptians, Africans, Palestinians, and a host of others...

Thanks Banhup!! You need to come the US to help me with my natural light photography!!!

20. You did an excellent job on these, Keith! Congrats - the lighting is perfect, and the captures wonderful. The family will be very happy with these in their albums.