Note to self...It's the photographer!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by olddogg, Aug 3, 2008.

1. I'm needing to get a grip here! The recent threads on all the spectacular long Nikkor primes, as well as the fast wide and midrange 1.4's have my head spinning. NAS out of control! All of these threads have me lusting mightily. Now understand, I have some great glass. 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR, 12-14, a 17-35 that I picked up used. For primes, 300 4.0, 35/2 a newly acquired 50 1.4, not to mention the Tammy 90 2.8 ti. The thing is that all of the great images on the Cafe from all of this glass are being posted by a group of truly fine shooters. Folks who would get great images from a good P&S cam. It's the photographer, stupid! I have so far to go to get where I'd like to be. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up. The quest is the thing. So, thanks to all the inspirational folks who share their work and help on the Cafe. Now it's time to get to work with the tools I'm blessed with, and quit lusting. End of confessional......

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  2. LOL
    love your rant, Jack
    of course... i am one of the EVIL ONES who keeps stirring the LENS LUST POT, so-to-speak

how can i sit around and contemplate buying such expensive pieces of glass... when i won't even pull the trigger on the $495.00 "The Gene?"
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.genecafe.shtml

i have gone completely mad, i suppose

3. olddog,

I agree, its the photog in most cases, but in the end you will still need the 2.8 or better for indoor sports. I don't care how good he/she thinks they are w/ a P & S, if you do NOT have the better glass, you and me will simply not get hired in the first place. I am a professional sports photog and I expect to have the best glass, just as the agencies and/or companies that hire me for that very reason. I guarantee you that I will not get hired if I showed up with an xti or D40 w/ 4.5/5.6 glass. I personally would love to see someones P & S pics of capturing the heat of the moment for action sports, I challange you out there to post them.

4. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin

Coffee! Now you're talking!

The business I'm employed by (as web and PURCHASING guy) needed a solution for BAD coffee. There are about 6 of us that are regular drinkers.

The owner is a good guy. He said "fix it". My solution:

Portion control grinder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To add the icing on the cake we are now a very good customer of our finest local coffee roaster, Alterra Coffee plus, to assure pure water, we added a reverse osmosis water system.

Life is good.

5. joe.....
    talk to Jack (olddogg) above
    he's the expert here on coffee and home roasting

in the chain is only as strong as the weakest link theory on life
    to get good coffee... you need
    every one of the following:
    1. good green beans
    2. a home roaster
    3. i good coffee maker

i'm going to start roasting my own beans soon
    nothing like them

6. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Jack, I agree with you. Most folks learning/growing edge lies with skill development and looking deeply. However, there is a qualitative difference, or perhaps just an interesting effect, felt as a newbie after having purchased better glass. Going from say the 18-70mm kit lens (which can perform quite well), to a 17-55mm 2.8, the 35-70mm 2.8, or the 50mm 1.8 (and other lenses), can feel astounding. After that heady period of noticing that difference, I think we go back (well, it is not like we become better, just that we see the difference) to skill and knowledge development because, at that point, the challenges do not necessarily lie with the equipment (I think this is true for everybody, but perhaps most keenly felt early on).

Now, as Mongoose notes, folks who make their living doing photography, do need the best equipment to give them the edge and performance required. But still, come right down to it, one has to know how to put all the elements together to create the best images. Super fancy equipment will not help if one does not know how to use it wisely.

I've been good at resisting NAS, but mainly because for what I primarily shoot I don't need super expensive equipment, and what I have works quite well. But... lately I've been thinking of a few other items... So, I will soon test out the 17-55mm 2.8 on my D300 to see if it is as good as everyone seems to think... : )

Hang in there, maybe join the NAS Resisters League (NASRL)!

Best,

N

7. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Jack: Great post. Working with what you got and making the most of it in every photographic situation is good practice. However, there is somthing deep seeded in the human brain that says, "never be satisfied". Its in are genes. Iv given in to the lust for top notch glass like nikkor supertelephoto's. Iv got glass that I lusted for for years and I remember the "if I only had mentality" Well now I got it and that has pushed me to take my photography to the next level, on the road to the infinite.

"Claim your limitation and sure enough, there yours"

Gregory

8. I'm apparently involved in NASA---Nikon Acquisition Syndrome Anonymous! and so far my wife is happy to pay my membership dues---$0.0 spent on glass in over a year :frown:

9. nineohtoo

nineohtoo

Jan 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    LOL @ NAS

I don't feel that all of these guys can make the same shots with a P&S(find me a P&S that can shoot clean ISO1600+ and under f1.8 :D ). In a lot of those cases you do need better equipment. That's not to discount someone with a good eye for things, It's just some situations require more than your kit lens.

On the same note, I think people who don't have the money such as myself should be spending their time on their PP skills instead of buying more expensive gear.

10. Ah Greg, you know you're gonna home roast. Just git 'er done, dude!

Mongoose,
    You're of course right. But I'm not a pro, just a really motivated amateur. I know enough to know that one can take bad pics with great glass, and a good shooter can take great pics with lesser glass. If I were a pro, or even an aspiring pro, I would have the best I could get for the specialty I chose. But there's nothing wrong with the lenses I already own. I'm just wanting to get more out of them before I move on to fancier much more expensive glass.

Look into roasting your own. Trust me, it's a quantum leap, unless you know one of the very few really good local roasters. (There are a few)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  11. Ahhh. Excellent, Grasshopper!

Well, Nacho, having given in to lust for both the D300, and the 17-55 2.8, I can tell you they are an excellent match, just between you and me.

Now Gregory, I'm not killing the lust, just trying to slow it down a tad. Good idea for both my bank account and my marriage. (Though my bride did give me the D300)

Boy, ain't that the truth! I just attended a cool photography workshop recently. The biggest lesson I took away was how woefully inadequate were my PP skills. Working on it!

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Jack, u got a lot of awesome glass. maybe too much! the -> got to have it all covered mentality is a big trap. i mean, we can only shoot with one lens ata time so we're always guna miss something..lol

13. Yeah, Mark, but really, won't my life be just a hollow shell until I too have my own 85 1.4? Can I go on without it? LMOOC (laughing maniacally out of control)

14. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Now look Jack, just because you have been able to show some restraint, dont be pushing "that" on the rest of us:tongue:. I know what you mean about making the wife happy or "feeding the lust" for Nikkor AIS. ..... I sure miss her somtimes :biggrin::tongue::eek::smile:.

Gregory

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ROTFL Jack ...ya i should talk. i've been depressed over the lack of a d700 ..lol..but really i'm crying, like a spoiled brat!

;-(

16. The original poster took the words right out of my mouth. I'm doing better than I did last year (when I went crazy and had to go into Nikon Acquisition Rehab - courtesy of mybank manager) but it is really hard to resist that magnetic pull of new glass.

I think I have done relatively well this year (even though I bought a new body and lens) as I spent way more last year. I think I have to concentrate more on shooting than actually buying stuff. It is really difficult, though. I nearly went the D700 route, but logic prevailed (along with some good advice) and I got the D300 instead. If I were making money, it would be different. Then I would actually have an excuse to buy the best.

17. Hi,

I enjoy the luxury of shooting just for fun, not as a profession.

Considering this, I really don't *need* any pro-lenses, but:

handling high-quality products is a real pleasure to me. Apart from IQ issues, I really love my 17-55/2.8 for it's touch and material quality.

A lot of my pictures could have been taken with a 18-55 kit lens (a.k.a. the body cap), but looking and touching this piece of cheap plastic just isn't the same, although the focal range nearly is.

My next purchase may be a 200/2 VR - not because I need it, but because I like it and I gonna shift my priorities to get one.#

I think, there's nothing wrong with my approach, as long as you can assure your really necessary needs can be fulfilled.

Regards,

Mattes

18. Emanuele_C

Emanuele_C

Oct 30, 2007
    Italy
    I agree with you, it's ALWAYS the photographer, even if he/she uses the finest glass but... the right lens gives the photographer a chanche more... for example, I've recently shot an event in very difficult light conditions and the 200/2VR made the difference, even with the humble D40x.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=61674&page=339

Without such a lens I wouldn't achieved those results. No flash, available light, no tripod/monopod.

Emanuele

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. $0.00 in 1 year?
    wow.....
    you should get some kind of award... seriously

that is being fiscally responsible

20. well-put, mattes
    i agree with you
    never sacrifice anything for you or your family's future
    but.... if great glass makes you happy, and you can financially swing it.... then, you should it

there are far worse vices.... and more expensive ones, at that :redface: