'nother crazy craigslist gig

I know similar have been posted before but I love the "don't think you are going to pull one over on us using a point and shoot" comment. I'm not a professional photographer but it must be pretty frustrating for those who are when people seem to expect a professional service for minimal cost. I've never seen posts for "Need a Chef wanting to practice banqueting - must have decent Kitchenaid" or "Looking for a DJ who wants to get better at spinning discs for free". Not the best analogies but don't understand why people think that a photographer wouldn't need to pay the bills too.....

From Craig's List Orlando:

My sister is getting married on May 23, 2009 and I am looking for someone with some experience or someone trying to further build their portfolio to photograph the wedding. Most professional photographers she has looked at are asking about $1500. If you have some experience with wedding photography or think you will by May 09' please email me telling me a little bit about yourself, your equipment (I am very familiar with photography equipment so please don't think you are going to pull one over on us using a point and shoot!, and some examples of what you would consider your best work. You must have a digital SLR with a descent lens (preferably more than one lens.) The wedding will take place in Savannah, Georgia. You will be compensated for your travel expences and you will be paid based on your experience. Please feel free to suggest a pay range

You think it would be more cost effective to recruit a photographer in Savannah. It's a 280 mile drive from Orlando, so there'd be at least one night of lodging and food.

Did you move to Orlando, Leah?

Photography is a dying craft. Part of the reason one gets the expensive over the top gear is to put the riff-raff in place. Doesn't work against rich amateurs! Yikes!

From Craig's List Orlando:

Every so often I read the ads from local photographers on Craig's list just to see what's going on out there. I've seen "professional photographers" offering senior portraits for $100 (2CDs included, no prints - 1 CD has high res, 1 low res for emailing), no limit on outfits. Now knowing how often my niece can change her outfits, you could be there for 8 hours while this kid changed his/her clothes bookoo times.

Then I've seen people looking for professional wedding photographer who must be willing to work on their tiny budget.

When I did web design, I constantly had musicians who wanted websites to sell their CDs but had no money. They somehow found the money to have the CDs made, but they had no money for a website. Now I am seeing the same thing with photographers.

I recently took a course called "The Selling of Art" and we talked about this. I am going to follow my teacher's advice :)

Carole

Anthony - too funny

Frank - nope, still in NH but my brother is in Orlando for a little while, I'll be out there for a few days and just checked out Craigslist for fun. It really made me laugh!

While I'm an amatuer, I know enough that I wouldn't go shopping for a wedding photog on craigslist. I'm sure they will get exactly what they pay for, maybe less.

Most people who post on craig for wedding photogs are looking for Mercedes quality at Yogo prices. I get call and emails and from time to time and people want you to give your service away just for pleasure of being at their wedding. I advise them to give uncle Harry a disposable camera and good luck. Note. The senior photos are getting just as bad.

I get asked to do wedding alot and consider some. "I'm not a wedding photog" to myself. Anyways when they see the prices I quote for wedding (that are not really that bad compared to established wedding shooters) they usually cringe. That said I'm am doing my cousins wedding for $1500 but that's just because she's family. I see tons of Craigslist ads looking for someone to do their wedding for $500. You get what you pay for in this business.

Anthony - too funny

Frank - nope, still in NH but my brother is in Orlando for a little while, I'll be out there for a few days and just checked out Craigslist for fun. It really made me laugh!

Gee ther're really doing a guy a favor by letting him/her shoot the wedding. I am surpised they didnt expect the photog to pay for the experience.:910:

Leah,
I've seen adds like that before, and really never paid them much mind - your comparison to the practice chef - needs a good kitchen aid just cracked me up - and I really saw the absurdity of that type of add. What to do... What to do...

One of my favorite quotes:

'A photographer must have done something awful in his previous life if in this one he needs to shoot weddings.'
- Ante Tomic, Croatian writer and journalist -

We're all always trying to get something for nothing, whether its personal goods or services. The best you can do is offer a counter with what your services are worth, and move on from there.

And you never know, you may well find a diamond in the ruff that is just looking for a way to improve their portfolio as this ad says.

Latest threads

Top Bottom