Nothin wrong with redundancy :)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Tierdaen, Jul 14, 2007.

1. As a film shooter, I've come to appreciate my 50/1.8 more. Unfortunately, one thing slightly irks me about it, and that is the focus ring has a smidge of slop to it. It's entirely psychological; that is, the lens function isn't really affected. However, it does affect me, and a CLA/regrease didn't tighten it up enough to make me happy.

So I was browsing around eBay the other day and stumbled across a 50mm f/2 AI in really nice condition. I asked the seller how the focus ring action was, and after getting juuust the right answer, I went after it. Unfortunately, I need to wait a while for it, but good things are usually worth a little waiting.

50/1.8 and 50/2. Were I "practical", I would have instead gotten a 28mm or other wide angle lens to fill the gap (I have nothing wider than 50mm). I could have gotten a 50/1.4 for the same price, but I was more interested in the 50/2. Perhaps in the future I'll add a 50/1.2 :biggrin:

Who else here has shameless overlap in their collections?

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    a 50mm lens on film is awsome! its just perfect. makes me really miss the F5. talk about a viewfinder! I now have the 35 F2.0 but its just not the same. its close. but the viewfinder just isnt as amazing.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Robert, the fun of anticipation is what ebay is all about! Yeah, I have redundancy. Oh, and there are no gaps, and I think you know that.

4. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    At one point I had a 50mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4 AIS, 55mm F1.2, and 55mm F3.5 Micro. :biggrin: Overlap is okay.

Now I just have the 50mm F1.8 and the 55mm F1.2. I no longer count MF vs AF as overlap since they serve different purposes for me.

5. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I have 4 50s, which I like better on digital than film, and 2 more zooms that go there.

1.4 AIS (favorite; so smooth)
    1.8 AF
    2.8 Sigma macro
    Lensbaby

They're inexpensive (the 1.8 was actually free) and compact, so why say no?

135 is another well covered FL for me—18 years in Nikonland will do that to ya. :biggrin: