Nothing earth shattering..

but this surprises me from the 300s manual..
The camera clock is less accurate than most watches and household
clocks. Check the clock regularly against more accurate time pieces and
reset as necessary.
Why? Aren't $10 watches pretty accurate?

Welcome to the world of mass manufacturing were every penny saved has an impact on the bottom line.

If my wife and I shoot together and synchronize our cameras... within a week or two they are 2-3 minutes off.

She shoots a D90 and I shoot a D700.

Doesn't really matter, as I said, not earth-shattering, but it just seems odd to me given how much it costs to buy a fairly accurate timepiece these days and how much we spend on a camera.

What? Does the minute really matter? I usually just go by the date. MAYBE the hour.
Try shooting a wedding with two other photographers. When you go to put all the images on-line showing the sequence of events, it is VERY useful to have the image timestamps synchronized as close as possible.

Isn't it your gps device that is furnishing the time along with geotag data?
Only the ones that plug into your camera. You can also just have a gps "recorder" that is synced on the time with your pictures. Basically "if this is Tuesday it must be Brussels" but than on a more precise scale.

Do it by Joves! It's very useful for searching for a photo from 1986, or putting them in order, or just knowing when that photo was taken.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Only the ones that plug into your camera. You can also just have a gps "recorder" that is synced on the time with your pictures. Basically "if this is Tuesday it must be Brussels" but than on a more precise scale.
Your clock is off. It's Wednesday and I'm in Maryland.

I experienced this on my D200. I went out shooting in the morning and the next thing I know I've lost six hours of my life ;)

Just think even a COSC Rolex can gain +6 seconds a day. So, a Rolex in a month could be +2.8 minutes and still be within COSC standards.

COSC= Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom