1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nothing is immune from Nikon price hike!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MD2595, Aug 8, 2009.

1. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Since I've been saving to go to FF and buy a D700, I've known that my 70-200 VR lens won't have the same reach as it does on my DX equipped D300.

Honestly, if Nikon would put the same ISO and low noise sensor in the D300 I would stay with that camera and the DX sensor. But, since I really need the capabilities of the FF sensor for my son's indoor poorly lit ice hockey, it looks as if the D700 is the logical choice.

Since I won't have the same reach with the D700, I have been looking at the Nikon TC-14E teleconverter since it only reduces the f-stop by 1. I can live with a f3.8 with the increased performance of the FF sensor, but a cursory check of some shops is showing that the TC-14E is going for about $470 now!:eek: 

When will the madness end??

2. Racerm

Racerm

Oct 10, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No it won't. They won't stop until we stop buying their products. The Lens Lust forum and others like it have contributed to the price hikes by causing a feeding frenzy amoung Nikon owners. It's seems like Nikon has it's own economic bubble going. What's gonna happen when it pops?

3. I feel your pain, I just bought one.

4. Rooz

Rooz

Nov 22, 2008
    Sydney, Oz
  5. But can you live with f4.0 since thats what you'll be getting and not f3.8

Gary

6. The Nikon bubble is going to burst!! who was it that said the world was going to end a few years ago?

7. Nikon will survive. Mitsubishi owns them. Mitsubishi is like the GM of Japan. Oh wait, maybe that's not such a good thing? :eek: 

8. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I was curious what I would get since now I get 2.8/3.2/3.5/4.0 with the 70-200 VR, but my non-G lenses are marked 1.4/1.8/2.8/4.0 etc.....

9. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    What did you pay for yours and where?

10. The TC-14E reduces the f-stop by 1 f-stop, therefore your 70-200mm f2.8 lens is now a 98-280mm f4 lens.

11. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    With the D700's capabilities, I should be able to work with f4.

12. I think we are forgetting that consumer cameras are just a small part of nikon's lineup. they also have a big stake in laboratory imaging and optical equipment, which are orders of magnitude more expensive than SLR kits. when the economy goes down, many of these labs lose funding to make large purchases like these. Whats important is that Nikon is still making money. I assume that the the price hikes won't be gone anytime soon, esp in the products with inelastic demand like pro lenses and specialty equipment (like TC's).

13. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    At least I found this on Nikon's site:

- The 70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR supports the TC-14EII, TC-17E II, TC-20EII

14. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I haven't noticed a jump in Nikon's rifle scopes yet.

15. Actually, the Nikon Precision division is losing market share and becoming a smaller part of Nikon's income. I really fear that Nikon is going in the direction of Leica with high prices and lower volumes, at least for its pro gear. The concept of advanced amateur FX, as so well met by the 5DII and the f/4 range of Canon zoom lenses, does not seem to be on Nikon's agenda. At least Nikon did not blow the transition to digital the way Leica did.

Additionally, Nikon is at a disadvantage in the P&S area where this segment is dominated by consumer electronics giants. Low end P&S is probably going away as the cameras in mobile phones improve.

16. Funny, I thought you would see it every time you pulled the trigger. No?
    :biggrin:

Ronnie

17. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hardy har har!

Actually the only Nikon scope I have is mounted on a heavy barrel varmit AR. It really has no recoil with a barrel that's 20" long and .920" in diameter!

18. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Please. :rolleyes: 

19. You can always get a Kenko 1.4TC. Works well and loses 1 stop as with the Nikon. I have used it on my 300/4 (for 420/5.6) and a borrowed 70-200/2.8 (going to 280/4) with no problems whatsoever.

20. ZoranC

ZoranC

Dec 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Bingo # 1. For a while I had in my sig that we should buy used which would force prices back to normal levels when they become hungry enough.

Bingo # 2.

Bingo # 3. It has already popped. They have announced record loss. One hikes up the prices, does not offer rebates, and all that in global econonomic downturn? Doesn't take brainiac to predict record losses. There might be price corrections and rebates on the horizon. All they need is 6 more months of losses. They might start coming to their senses by Xmas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.