nothing like that smell

Well,

I am done for tonight!

Took the dog out for her final walk of the day and she goes and finds a Skunk, without hesitation she grabs it in that not so playful way and I immediately run while groaning NOOOOOOOOOOO, pulling hard for her to let go. The skunk landed on all fours, the tail went up while I was in mid groan and guess what :eek:

My first dog learned afte his first encounter, not this puppy she is all instinct all the time, I have yet to find the off switch. We get home and I went straight to google, found the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda recipe and got busy.

All done, for now.

The house stinks though and wait, is that me???????????????????

R

Removed User 2

Same hapened to me and my dog not long ago... Terrible gasoline/onion smell!

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
Yep, that's you :wink:! For awhile there, all 3 of our dogs were getting skunked a couple of times a week...we had a skunk living under our porch. It always happened very early in the morning, and one morning my husband got it a bit too, had his carpool sitting there waiting for him so they could leave, and ended up going to work smelling faintly of skunk. Ah, those were the days.

Of course, he actually got to leave for work, and I was the one out there on the back porch in my pajamas at 5am, sloshing around in the hydrogen peroxide bath trying to clean 3 large uncooperative dogs....a couple of times a week for several weeks. I'm not a morning person on my best days, so that was NOT a happy time!

Yep, that's you :wink:! For awhile there, all 3 of our dogs were getting skunked a couple of times a week...we had a skunk living under our porch. It always happened very early in the morning, and one morning my husband got it a bit too, had his carpool sitting there waiting for him so they could leave, and ended up going to work smelling faintly of skunk. Ah, those were the days.

Of course, he actually got to leave for work, and I was the one out there on the back porch in my pajamas at 5am, sloshing around in the hydrogen peroxide bath trying to clean 3 large uncooperative dogs....a couple of times a week for several weeks. I'm not a morning person on my best days, so that was NOT a happy time!

I am an animal lover, but if that one were under my porch their might have been some "road kill" turning up in the neighborhood. That is horrible.

If it makes you feel better, we had a lousy neighbor leave salmon carcasses out in the woods near our home. You guessed it the dogs rolled in it daily, the stench would make you gag uncontrollably. I finally went out and found the stuff, bagged it up and returned it to my neighbor. Hmmmmmmm I don't remember if I ever told him it was there.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Having gone through a couple of occassiona of dogs being sprayed, I do not think that I want to go through that again.

This does remind of a funny incident. My former business partner lives next door a fellow named "John". John fancies himself a he-man...a manly man..who will only do things that manly man would do. He decided to buy a dog; so, of course, he needed a manly dog. He settled on a bulldog. Of course, the dog needed a manly name; so, he was called Studly. Studly was all white, except for brindled spots, on his head.

One summer, John went on a 2 week vacation. Of course it had to be a manly vacation. So, he got in his sailboat, and sailed from Massachusetts to Florida and the Carribean, and back again. While he was gone, he left his 20 year old daughter in charge of the house and Studly.

The day before John was due to return, you guessed it, Studly got sprayed by a skunk. John's daughter was terrified about what her father would think. Having been told that a bath in tomato juice would get rid of the smell, off she went to bathe Studly in tomato juice. The tomato juice treatment did free Studly of the skunk smell. Unfortunately, all of that white fur had now been dyed PINK. The poor girl was horrified at the thought of how her father would react.

We all found it quite hilarious, when John, the manly man, came home, fresh from conquering the seas, to find that his manly bulldog, with the manly name, was pink. John refused to be seen, in public, with his pink dog. He made his daughter walk the dog, for the next two weeks, until the pink wore off.

Cliff, I would have put a pink bow or bonnet on Studly, then get a picture to be included on a welcome home banner for John :)

I have not even seen a skunk other than in the zoo, that's really ok for me

Thanks for posting this. I just printed it out and added ot my stack of reasons not to own a dog :)

Man...tough night...that stinks.... hahahahah

Last edited by a moderator:
......This does remind of a funny incident. My former business partner lives next door a fellow named "John". John fancies himself a he-man...a manly man..who will only do things that manly man would do. He decided to buy a dog; so, of course, he needed a manly dog. He settled on a bulldog. Of course, the dog needed a manly name; so, he was called Studly. Studly was all white, except for brindled spots, on his head.

.......John refused to be seen, in public, with his pink dog. He made his daughter walk the dog, for the next two weeks, until the pink wore off.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
I sleep all night and I work all day
He's a lumberjack and he's okay
He sleeps all night and he works all day

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavat'ry
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea
He cuts down trees...
He's a lumberjack...

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I love to press wild flow'rs
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars
He cuts down trees...
He's a lumberjack...

:biggrin:

The Frozen Tundra...aka south of the Twin Cities,
Having gone through a couple of occassiona of dogs being sprayed, I do not think that I want to go through that again.

This does remind of a funny incident. My former business partner lives next door a fellow named "John". John fancies himself a he-man...a manly man..who will only do things that manly man would do. He decided to buy a dog; so, of course, he needed a manly dog. He settled on a bulldog. Of course, the dog needed a manly name; so, he was called Studly. Studly was all white, except for brindled spots, on his head.

One summer, John went on a 2 week vacation. Of course it had to be a manly vacation. So, he got in his sailboat, and sailed from Massachusetts to Florida and the Carribean, and back again. While he was gone, he left his 20 year old daughter in charge of the house and Studly.

The day before John was due to return, you guessed it, Studly got sprayed by a skunk. John's daughter was terrified about what her father would think. Having been told that a bath in tomato juice would get rid of the smell, off she went to bathe Studly in tomato juice. The tomato juice treatment did free Studly of the skunk smell. Unfortunately, all of that white fur had now been dyed PINK. The poor girl was horrified at the thought of how her father would react.

We all found it quite hilarious, when John, the manly man, came home, fresh from conquering the seas, to find that his manly bulldog, with the manly name, was pink. John refused to be seen, in public, with his pink dog. He made his daughter walk the dog, for the next two weeks, until the pink wore off.

Absolutely classic!!! Best laugh I have had in a LONG LONG time....

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

:Angel: :biggrin:

Just an FYI when using peroxide on dark-coated dogs: you do know peroxide's other "off label" use, yes? (peroxide blond?!). Be SURE you rinse your dog VERY VERY well, soap/water is a good suggestion, and then don't allow him out in the sun while still wet. Peroxide WILL bleach the coat of a dog if not properly rinsed/dried. :tongue: :biggrin:

We have a groomer who helps our group...she was telling me about getting a 5:30am with a client who had a skunked dog.

A Great Dane. :biggrin:

By the time she was done with the dog, the tips of his feet were blonde...

Latest threads

Top Bottom