Notoriety of Cafe members

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 29, 2005.

1. I'm completely astounded! A few weeks ago, Trish posted a link to Shutterbugs where one of her animal photos was selected as POTD. Inspired by her success, I started submitting some of mine. I think I have about 5 photos submitted. I keep forgetting to check their site but do check the archives every couple of days.

I'm proud (& humbled) to say that one of my shots was chosen as POTD in Still Life category! :shock: Can't believe it! It was a photo I've posted here of a church door in St Augustine.

Not only that, but I noticed in the Animal Category, the winner is listed as Jim Fenton!

Not only that, but Harris mentioned the other day that one of his bird shots was picked as POTD!

And not only that, but Harry Behret mentioned the other day that one of his shots came in 3rd place at the St Augustine Alligator Farm's photo contest!

We need to get more of the Cafe members to submit their works! We're in a hot streak right now!!

Sorry, am just excited to actually win something! :wink:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congratulations Kev,

It is very humbling to win a contest with an image that you submit because of the huge number of entries...who would think that you would stand a chance. But when you are contacted that your submission has won, it is a particularly gratifying event.
    I was so fortunate to win a CoolPix 4600 from Nikonnet.com for their Editor's choice contest for June, 2005 and I just had a submission chosen for Kodak Picture of the Day scheduled for Saturday, August 6, 2005. I am thrilled and humbled by these happenings...nice to think that the panels of judges thought highly of my entries.

Congrats to you and to Harris for your recent success...and I agree that more members of the Cafe should participate as well. You all capture such wonderful images.

3. way to go Kevin. I guess we're living proof that if you throw enough mud up, something sooner or later will stick. :)

4. ....and I thought it was enough monkeys typing you'd get a play by Shakespeare...
    :wink:

5. Congrats Kevin and all. Harris, you're a riot - great way of viewing life! *LOL*

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Congrats, Kevin!!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Way to go Kevin!!

8. I'm so sorry, Frank (eng45ine). I remember your post with your accomplishment. In my excitement, I forgot about your success! Yours is probably the highest honor I'm aware of. I've been telling coworkers about your success and how neat it would be to have your photo in Times Square.

Please accept my apologies for overlooking your tremendous success! You're a great guy, and a great photographer! :)

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Congratulations to ALL of you..

I remember that red door Kevin :>)) Good going.

I wonder if I should throw some mud tooo..

Nawwww not good enough.

10. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    WTG Kevin!

Congratulations on your award!! I love that shot! I find when I am REALLY pleased with something, it makes me feel good to do something with a particular capture. When it is chosen...well that just makes the day!

Good Job!!!! And amazing that I inspired YOU!

11. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Gale,
    Put it out there..give a try! If you believe something is good trust yourself for your own style.It is tuff when one shows shots to other photographers all the time via forums. I learned that it's one thing to receive technical input about a shot, but another when it comes to my own style or what appeals to my eye. Trust your own eye. Look at the photos that win and get recognized. Learn from looking...not just taking and hoping. I had a real difficult time thinking anything I took was any good. Once I really studied what constitutes a great shot technically, I began to do better and enjoy the fact that every once in a while I actually take some great shots.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Kev,

Gosh, no apologies necessary for anything, are you kidding? I was just referencing the enjoyment of person learning that their photo submission was chosen as a winner of some type award. When I see so many outstanding images posted on this site alone, I am amazed that my image was chosen over the huge numbers of submissions that Kodak must receive. I hope that no one things that I was trying to steal your recognition by mentioning my recent good fortune, I sincerely apologize if the members believed that I was trying to toot my own horn on your thread. Something like that is definately not my style.

13. Don't be silly! It's only my thread cuz I started it. It's more about how many Cafe members are seeing little successes. I was thrilled only because I just started getting serious about photography recently. It was a meaningful validation for me. Makes me think that I can do this.

I did feel bad because I was so excited about your accomplishment and forgot to mention it. There are so many talented photogs on this site that it can be rather intimidating. But seeing everyone's great work only inspires me and drives me to become better.

I hope someone can come through for you and you get your shot of your photo in TIMES SQUARE!! Then you better post it here so we all can see it. :lol:

14. Way to go, guys! I just got up and am thrilled to learn all the success of my dear friends. Makes my day.

15. Kudo's to you Kevin and all the other winners. I have always maintained that we have a great group of photographer here.

16. Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words. Phil, please post some night shots of Hong Kong. You live in a beautiful city!

17. Roger, Kevin. Will do it when weather permits.