1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NOVA Cafe mini get together at Huntley Meadows

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris_B, May 11, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Rich Gibson, Mark from Vienna and I finally met for some bird photography at a local wildlife refuge. Connie, hopefully you can come next time. We are going to try again in a few weeks and hopefully we can do something like this in the local area a few times a month.

The water level at Huntley Meadows marsh was very low due to a lack of rain, and the birds were a little scarce. We did see a few GBH flyby's at a distance and a Great Egret turned up but a little too far away for a good shot. My highlights are below. Hopefully Rich and Mark did a little better than I did. It was a nice morning with great company and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

The Red-winged Blackbirds were plentiful and fun to shoot.

View attachment 95058

The best moment for me was the pair of baby Canadian Geese.
    View attachment 95059

View attachment 95060

Mark and I then went to Belle Haven Marina to see the Osprey nest.

On the way to lunch
    View attachment 95061

View attachment 95062

This is a table for one buddy
    View attachment 95063

That was yummy
    View attachment 95064

2. Nice camera work Chris Great series, I like the Osprey

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like a pretty productive day to me Chris. :smile:

4. I *love* that gosling walking at the camera!! That is totally an "awwwww!" shot! :biggrin: Look at those big ol' feet, poor guy....he's got some growin' to do!

5. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA

Thanks Gary and Frank. We made the best of it. Mark and I watched the Osprey in the tree for around 20 minutes hoping to catch another flight shot but he/she outlasted us and we left.

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Gretchen. It was very fun to watch and a very nice surprise. We had packed up and were walking out of the marsh when we ran into the pair. We set back up when we saw them :biggrin:.

7. Kudos to you Chris. Looks like a productive day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.