Novoflex Castel-Mini - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by simonramsden, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Hi

I'm really getting into this macro photography using a reversed 50mm plus some teleconvertors and extension tubes. Lots of trial and error but rewarding results occasionally peek through.

Main problem I have is getting a crisp focus with such a limited DOF - usually 1 to 1.5 mm - so I was thinking of getting a focus rail. The one I'm looking at getting is the Novoflex Castel-Mini.

http://www.adorama.com/NVFRM.html

So, this obviously raises a few questions.

1. Do you have one, and if you do is it any good ?
    2. If you don't have one, but have a different rail system, what are you using and why ?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. Which camera? I just bought the heavier Novoflex rail:

http://www.adorama.com/NVFRX.html

I am using a D2X on it, and I would say I made the right choice. The weight of the camera seems to be about what it can handle smoothly.

Only caveat is the description I see on Adorama and BH. They are NOT "dual gear" by any stretch. You can slide the bottom separately, but all of their rails do that and the lower section is not geared.

Very much worth what I paid for it.

3. Beezle

Thanks for the information.

I'm going to be using a D70 with either a dedicated macro lens, or a reversed 50mm. So I'm not expecting a lot of movement or weight - hence the mini version.

I suppose to a degree the bottom scale doesn't need to be geared. You can quickly get close to the right distance before using the top scale to wind it in.

Does Nikon Capture let you see whats in the viewfinder on your PC before you release the shutter - ie could I use NC as a big screen for controlling manual focus ?

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No. The mirror is still in the way, and the shutter is closed.

5. I have one of those track from Manfrotto and it is very well made. You dont need that much of a reach for to make the focus, you get your main tripod as closed as you can get and make the minute adjustment with the track.

http://www.adorama.com/BG3419.html

NB: Look in the Really Right Stuff catalog. They should put on the market a very nice little tripod in autumn for peoples doing macrophotography, it's quite pricy but seem to be well made like everything they sell.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  6. Indeed - one day I will engage the brain before I ask the obvious :rolleyes:

Guess I'll be focussing with a wide open aperture, and then stoping it down to something smaller for the DOF when I'm sure I'm focussed.

Thanks Chris

7. Not looked at the Manfrotto one - thanks for the tip. Time to surf :smile:

8. Look at speedgraphic.co.uk. Ask then to send you a catalogue and assess what you want from this. Manfrotto are very good, but whateverr you buy it will have to be very sturdy to take the weight of the D2X. Candidly i would be inclined to look at a Kaiser Copying Stand if you are only going to use the technique indoors and on static objects,

Best wishes. Bob F.