Now for something completely different ...

Real Name
Chris
girlwithchicken2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My 'hobby farmer' friend's daughter holds up her favorite chicken, Max.

greyflash said:
Very nice Chris. You have come up with a Hi Key image outside, cool.

Okay, I'll ask the stupid question. Just exactly what is a "high key?" I thought it was illumination from above down towards the subject.

Rich

gho

Rich, well some people take high key to be more specific than others. Generally speaking, high key is where the overall tonality is right skewed. Low key has an overall darker look to it.

Chris, great shot and beautiful portrait. Its always easier to take kid pics when you have kids available, ;)

Good, fun shot, Chris

Cute kid and good job getting the exposure right. I know you didn't ask for any criticism, but I wonder if you could even up some of those shadows on her neck?

Real Name
Chris
Criticsm is allways welcome Steve, especially from someone who has become so accomplished at portraiture. So thanks. I did mellow them out with curves a bit, and I see where they are distracting. On the other hand, they bring in the tree she's standing under.

How would you suggest that I diminish their effect, but retain their presence? Blur on a layer?

Chris, I can see the shot now. You know, it wasn't that long ago that I didn't have a clue what high key meant. Now I can appreciate this technique (format? / paradigm? / mode?) when I see it. I even took some high key shots myself this week-end (didn't have much choice with heavily back-lit birdies).

I see what Steve means about the shadows on her neck, but I kind of like them. OTOH, a blurred layer would smooth them out well, and would allow you to dial in the smooting effect.

Thanks,

Frank

Latest threads

Top Bottom