Now for something completly different

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by bvonarx, Jul 16, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Geez Brooks, these are sweet.....first time eh? If any of these were my kids, I'd have to have some to put on my wall. Oh.....do photogs at these events sip champagne while shooting? :eek::tongue:

2. Nice shots Brooks, looks like tough lighting, you 'done good'!

3. Really nice Brooks, particlualrly 3, 5 and 6. It does look like the lighting was difficult. How close were you to the action?

4. Unfourtunatly, no Champagne or Grey Poupon at this event, though that is a good idea, next time I'll trade some sips of the bubbly for poses.:wink:

Thanks, a bright high sky and very light colored sand mix in the ring made for difficult conditions, a lot of blown highlites till I figured it out, sort of. Some minor Levels adjustment helped.

I was standing at the fence approx 40ft from the nearest rail, nice and close. Worst part was the clouds of blowing dust.

5. Brooks, you have a great eye for these shots, and this was your first try? No fair! :) I love the expression in #2, and the jumping action too. Very nice detail, sharpness & color. I can hear the comments from these parents now, "oh muffy, I do love one with Kitty's horse jumping the last fence... pass a cucumber sandwich" :)

6. Awesome series Brooks. Well done indeed!

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice series 4 and 5 are real winners , bu tyou caught nice faces in all
    Thanks for sharing

8. I liek the 1st and third the best I can imagine the dust, great job on the exposures

9. Well some of the parents may be like that but those kids worked really hard. Unfortunatly, it's my experiance that youth sports (at club levels) appear to be more about the parents than the kids.

10. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Brooks, you were able to get some nice pictures regardless of the conditions. 4 and 6 are my favorites. I wanted to go and take some pictures too, but couldn't squeeze it into an already busy weekend. Maybe next year.

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Brooks these are REALLY good....I have never shot anything like this but I can't imagine doing any better than these...Excellent IMO...

Please post some more if you have them

12. Nice shots Brooks, but the ones jumping are cropped way too tight. You can't clip the horses legs like that.

13. There are two more events scheduled at East Freehold Park that I know of; 8/25 and 26 and 9/16 both are all day affairs, hope you can make it.

I shot it very tight not really knowing what I was doing. Since then I have looked at several web sites featuring this type of action and now know that the "proper" positioning of the forlocks, s/b tucked in to chest and tight. I'll try and get it next time.

And one more for Rod:
    _BVA8526.

14. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Heck Brooks....I can't even get one set of eyes sharp....You got two !!

Again great job...Can't wait for the next set.