Now here is a COMPUTER!!

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Minuteman3, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Whoa!! Just took delivery on a new server for one of my clients (a dentist). Thing weighs in at over 130 pounds!!

[​IMG]

Now this is a SERIOUS piece of machinery!! Dual Intel Xeons, 3x750GB drives, RAID 5, dual redundant power supplies, etc.

Cost was really surprising ... right around $3,000 not including SW (we have our own).

How do I get this downstairs into his basement?

(Yeah, I know ... carefully!!:smile:)

Cheers!!

Ken

2. Wowsers - will double as a space heater too! We just received a new db server at work; octo-core, 32 gigs of ram.

3. That is also some serious "iron"!!

I am especially worried about all these fans. The office tends to have a lot of dust in the air (I think it's probably fine shavings from the drilling activities) and I already have to clean all of the PCs once a month or so!!

Cheers!!

Ken

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What are ya going to the moon...lolol

5. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Basement? That thing deserves its own dust proof and air-conditioned room! (Sound proof would be a good idea too, just wait until you here those 6 screamers at full rev!)

6. klnyc

klnyc

Jun 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Same one I have in my office. We running Exchange 2007 on that baby :biggrin:

7. krs2fer

krs2fer Guest

Nice, but it's a DELL...

8. When I finally decide to buy a computer instead of building one it will probably be a Dell. They just have the best customer support.

9. Now that they have switched Tech Support back to North America, that is CERTAINLY true!!

I'm just hoping that when I turn this puppy on tomorrow (here in my home office) I don't blow out all my circuit breakers!!

Should be a fun week ...

Cheers!!

Ken

10. Enjoy the new system. XPS liquid cooled?

11. Nope ... that's for consumers, especially gamers. This is a server ... will soon be running Small Business Server and some dental software.

Would not be a very good gamer machine ... I think it's something like a 8MB video card!!

Cheers!!

Ken