Now I'm Looking for A Bicycle Recommendation Too!

Rich Gibson's thread about recommendations for a new bicycle, and the excellent response he got to it, have inspired me to look into replacing my current bike.

Right now, I'm riding a Specialized Exhibition that's 5 years old. I bought it shortly after I moved here, and frankly didn't do a whole lot of research before deciding on it, so I'm wondering whether there's something better out there for me. We have a nice bike trail (asphalt) in the area and quiet streets around town, so I don't ever ride on dirt trails or gravel roads. A long ride for me right now is only about 14 miles, but I'd like to increase that, of course. Average ride is 9-10 miles.

I'm 60 years old, 5-8 tall, 205 lbs in reasonably good health (no major problems). I get most of my exercise (besides riding the bike) by walking (3-4 miles most days), and downhill skiing in the winter. My visits to the gym are few and far between. :redface:

The main features I'm looking for are comfort and light weight. Not sure of my budget, but let's just go with $750 for now.

I live in a small town and there are really only two bike shops: Rick's Bike Shop and Inside Edge Ski and Bike Shop.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'm not looking to train for the Tour de France. :rolleyes: But I'm wondering whether there's another bike that fits my purposes better than the one I already have.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bert, you might enjoy checking out http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/220-Fifty-Plus-(50-) It's strictly for bikers 50 and over. There is even a sub-forum for riders over 65, but of course you aren't eligible for that...yet! :tongue:

Lots of good questions by folks our age which the younger 'alpha' types can't relate to. As I mentioned I have my eye on a Trek FX 7.6. I'm waiting for the new model line and a reduced price to close out the 2013 model year.

Bert, you might enjoy checking out http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/220-Fifty-Plus-(50-) It's strictly for bikers 50 and over. There is even a sub-forum for riders over 65, but of course you aren't eligible for that...yet! :tongue:

Lots of good questions by folks our age which the younger 'alpha' types can't relate to. As I mentioned I have my eye on a Trek FX 7.6. I'm waiting for the new model line and a reduced price to close out the 2013 model year.

Thanks a lot for that link, Rich. I'll have to read thru the threads there.

I bought a Specialized Rock Hopper with 29" tires last year so I could bike ride with my son. Comes with a front shock. I really like it. I think I paid $850 for it.

LBS = Local Bicycle Shop?

Yep.

I don't know Rick's but Inside Edge has a pretty good reputation. The important thing is the rapport between you and the shop and the person you deal with. You want to work with someone who will treat you seriously and not dismiss you because you're not going to spend $5,000 or more on a Serotta (a local fav). If you're willing to go down to Saratoga, try Blue Sky.

Inside Edge sells pseudo higher end road bikes and I would avoid the Fuji which is their cheaper brand. However they do sell Felts which are a decent brand with bikes in your price range. Rick's sells Specialized, which is a manufacturer that has a full line of bikes catering to all price ranges and skill sets. You'd probably be interested in the Allez. But if you can get a good deal on a Roubaix, take it. I rode one for a long time. It's a great bike and comfortable.

Not to go off topic, but just to give you an idea of the types of deals you can get at a bike shop: I ride a Look 695. A complete bike bought at full MSRP will set you back at least $10k, depending on how you equip it and the type of wheels you choose. I bought my frame during a Tour de France special for 20% off of $6000. I then moved everything from my old bike to the new frame. Out the door, I was a little over $5000 for my bike--new frame with old components. The same shop has a left over bike from last year--same model, but different color scheme--complete with top of the line Shimano components for $5800.

Moral of the story, when last year's bikes are sitting on the floor and the new models are also in stock, you can get more bike than you originally thought you could for maybe close to what you wanted to spend to begin with.

Yep.

I don't know Rick's but Inside Edge has a pretty good reputation. The important thing is the rapport between you and the shop and the person you deal with. You want to work with someone who will treat you seriously and not dismiss you because you're not going to spend $5,000 or more on a Serotta (a local fav). If you're willing to go down to Saratoga, try Blue Sky.

I bought my present bike at Rick's and I've been very happy with them service-wise. A few years back, Inside Edge turned me off a bit as I was shopping for skis. It's like they didn't want to bother with the old guy (me), since he probably wasn't buying anything worthwhile. But, I might give them a look with regard to a bike.

I hadn't heard of Blue Sky in Saratoga, so thanks for that info. I'd prefer buying from somewhere more local (I live within a mile or so of both Rick's and Inside Edge), but will give them a look.

Thanks.

Bert, if you've been happy with Rick's, by all means continue to patronize that shop. My GF bought a couple of bikes at Inside Edge (she grew up in Glens Falls), but aside from buying a few accessories there when I've been with her, I have no personal knowledge of the shop. I only know them by reputation and that can vary widely. And so much depends on the individual you deal with.

You live in an excellent location to pop over to Crandall Park for the afternoon balloon launches!

I don't buy bikes very often. I bought a Cannondale around 1991 and then a Trek a few years ago. The Clifton Park shop where I bought the Cannondale is no longer in business. I tried another shop that had opened recently in Clifton Park and they took one look at me (then about 63) and decided I was interested in a bike that I wasn't interested in. Since they didn't take me seriously I went to Blue Sky where I was treated much better. After being fitted I tried a number of different bikes, and that's the only way you can tell what's really suitable for you. At the end it was a ride-off between a Specialized model and a Trek model and I decided I liked the Trek a little bit better. But you *must* be properly fitted so you can give the bikes (and you) a fair shake. Components can be swapped out and changed to get the fit just right, but that takes time, yours and the salesperson and mechanic.

Latest threads

Top Bottom