Now what am I doing!?!?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Raul_T, May 21, 2007.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Got my 300/2.8 today and took it to my son's soccer practice so I could "practice". It was pretty cloudy as we had storms approaching.

Pics taken w/ my D2H, ISO 400, wide open, matrix metering. Now what the heck am I doing................or not doing:confused: 

508654435_c5ff04f4fa.

508654481_d0e5aef813.

508654517_ec76ce7156.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

-Raul

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Can you share some EXIF data so we can help you figure this out? What mode, aperture, shutter speed, any EV adjustment....fill us in and we'll go from there.

3. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas

I shot Aperture Priority at 2.8, EXIF shows 1/8000 shutter speed, Exp -3.0 (which I don't know how to change as of yet.)

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The negative EV is your culprit. Turn your camera on, push the button with the +/- (plus/minus) to the right of the mode button and spin the front wheel until the numbers go from -3.0 to 0.0. That's all you have to do, Raul.

5. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks a ton Frank!! I just made that adjustment.

6. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Raul,

First off ..... GREAT action and cropping ... i think you are really on track here to make some KILLER shots...........did you shoot JPG or RAW ?? if you shot RAW we can probbly try and save your shots.....

here is what i think can help you, when ever you see shutter speeds over 1/1200th alarm bells should be going off in your head (1/640 or so can stop a soccer player mid stroke while running) ..... for good measure try to stick to arround 1/1000

I think like this whenever i see fast shutter speeds......

" wow my shutter speed is fast...."

when that happens and i see fast shutter speeds i ask myself a couple of questions ....

What ISO am i shooting at
    What F/stop am i using
    What EV ( if any ) am i using....

I try to keep my ISO's as low as i can because hell ... ill be honest.... i dont like noise.....

so if your given circumstances i would have mabye kept about -1/3 EV then dialed down ISO to mabye 200 or so and then set my F/stop down to about f4 .... trust me... you will get more keepers with a bit more DOF.

Please Keep posting your work and asking for help if you need it

I look forward to seeing more ,

7. Topher, excellent advice, If you dont mind I will use this myself :biggrin:

8. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

:biggrin: lol NP

9. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Topher for the kind words! I apologize for taking so long to get back. It's the end of the school year for my kids and it's been kinda hectic. I did take my camera out once again to practice tonight and watched those numbers as you suggested.

Once again, thank you and to the rest of y'all who are eager to help me out!!!!

-Raul

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

I totally understand the end of the year thing.... it's been a nightmare here.... if you have any more q's feel free to ask, lots of GREAT people here on the forum who can help !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.