Now what am I doing!?!?

Got my 300/2.8 today and took it to my son's soccer practice so I could "practice". It was pretty cloudy as we had storms approaching.

Pics taken w/ my D2H, ISO 400, wide open, matrix metering. Now what the heck am I doing................or not doing:confused:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks in advance!!!!!

-Raul

Can you share some EXIF data so we can help you figure this out? What mode, aperture, shutter speed, any EV adjustment....fill us in and we'll go from there.

Can you share some EXIF data so we can help you figure this out? What mode, aperture, shutter speed, any EV adjustment....fill us in and we'll go from there.

I shot Aperture Priority at 2.8, EXIF shows 1/8000 shutter speed, Exp -3.0 (which I don't know how to change as of yet.)

I shot Aperture Priority at 2.8, EXIF shows 1/8000 shutter speed, Exp -3.0 (which I don't know how to change as of yet.)
The negative EV is your culprit. Turn your camera on, push the button with the +/- (plus/minus) to the right of the mode button and spin the front wheel until the numbers go from -3.0 to 0.0. That's all you have to do, Raul.

T

topher04r1

Raul,

First off ..... GREAT action and cropping ... i think you are really on track here to make some KILLER shots...........did you shoot JPG or RAW ?? if you shot RAW we can probbly try and save your shots.....

here is what i think can help you, when ever you see shutter speeds over 1/1200th alarm bells should be going off in your head (1/640 or so can stop a soccer player mid stroke while running) ..... for good measure try to stick to arround 1/1000

I think like this whenever i see fast shutter speeds......

" wow my shutter speed is fast...."

when that happens and i see fast shutter speeds i ask myself a couple of questions ....

What ISO am i shooting at
What F/stop am i using
What EV ( if any ) am i using....

I try to keep my ISO's as low as i can because hell ... ill be honest.... i dont like noise.....

so if your given circumstances i would have mabye kept about -1/3 EV then dialed down ISO to mabye 200 or so and then set my F/stop down to about f4 .... trust me... you will get more keepers with a bit more DOF.

Please Keep posting your work and asking for help if you need it

I look forward to seeing more ,

Raul,

First off ..... GREAT action and cropping ... i think you are really on track here to make some KILLER shots...........did you shoot JPG or RAW ?? if you shot RAW we can probbly try and save your shots.....

here is what i think can help you, when ever you see shutter speeds over 1/1200th alarm bells should be going off in your head (1/640 or so can stop a soccer player mid stroke while running) ..... for good measure try to stick to arround 1/1000

I think like this whenever i see fast shutter speeds......

" wow my shutter speed is fast...."

when that happens and i see fast shutter speeds i ask myself a couple of questions ....

What ISO am i shooting at
What F/stop am i using
What EV ( if any ) am i using....

I try to keep my ISO's as low as i can because hell ... ill be honest.... i dont like noise.....

so if your given circumstances i would have mabye kept about -1/3 EV then dialed down ISO to mabye 200 or so and then set my F/stop down to about f4 .... trust me... you will get more keepers with a bit more DOF.

Please Keep posting your work and asking for help if you need it

I look forward to seeing more ,
Topher, excellent advice, If you dont mind I will use this myself :biggrin:

Thanks Topher for the kind words! I apologize for taking so long to get back. It's the end of the school year for my kids and it's been kinda hectic. I did take my camera out once again to practice tonight and watched those numbers as you suggested.

Once again, thank you and to the rest of y'all who are eager to help me out!!!!

-Raul

T

topher04r1

I totally understand the end of the year thing.... it's been a nightmare here.... if you have any more q's feel free to ask, lots of GREAT people here on the forum who can help !

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom