1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Now what lens....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BillyChocobo, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Ok... So my Lens collection goes like this... (for my D7000)

35mm f/2 d
    50mm f/1.2 AiS
    85mm f/1.4 d

I used to have the 18-200 vrII which i traded for the 80-200mm. But i traded the 80-200mm because i don't do tripod very often, i realized that with the 80-200 I was using 80-100 more than 100-200. So I decided to go with the 85mm cause I have been seeing some amazing pictures with it. So now... what am I left with? Any ideas? I will eventually sometime in the future (probably 5 years (?)) down the line get a Full Frame. So now what....
    -B-

2. brbo

brbo

Nov 29, 2009
    Slovenia
    180mm f2.8
    or
    sigma 24mm f1.8

3. Mishu

Mishu

Mar 25, 2010
    Romania
    Tokina 11-16/2.8 or, if you want a FX lens, the new Tokina 16-28/2.8. If you want to stick with Nikon: 16-35/4 VR.

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Why do you feel that you need a new lens?

5. Would suggest you look at something a bit wider. 35mm on a DX is around 50mm FF equivalent, so not too wide.

You could look at a 24, or, for even wider, go for something like the Nikon 12-24mm.

Of course, this depends on the sort of photography you do. If it's people, then the 12-24 probably isn't so useful, but for shooting in cities it's ideal

6. If you are looking at a great walk around kit, of light primes, I would add the 180 f2.8D. I have the lens and it is a great lighter weight option for when you may need something in the 200mm range.

Roy

7. Kinda depends on what you enjoy shooting, but since you indicated you didn't use the long end of the telephoto range, I'd suggest looking at an ultra wide zoom or the 10.5 Fisheye. I've got the 10.5 and the Nikkor 12-24 and they are both fun, sharp lenses

8. greenbeanazure

greenbeanazure

Jun 1, 2009
    USA
    135mm. If you like 85 on dx, you'll like 135 on fx

9. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    Sigma 150 F2.8 Macro with OS, suppose to start shipping end of the month from what I read, or the Nikon 70-300VR.

10. What genres do you like to shoot, and what do you want to do, that are you not able to do with the gear you already have?
    Answer these questions and then you'll get suggestions that may be helpful.
    Otherwise all you're getting is a list of other people's favorite lenses.

11. Without knowing what genres you prefer, it is a bit tough. I'll throw in lenses that I have and like a lot:
    10.5 fisheye
    sigma 150 2.8 macro

And, here is what I would like to get:
    300 F4: affordable tele with a very good reputation!

Only the 10.5 is a dx lens, but since you say 5 years I believe you will get a lot of use out of it!

12. i was looking either a landscape or a longer one.. like... would it be worth it to buy a 24mm? or should i go for a 12-24? or go with a wide angle prime? or should i maybe go with that 150? sorry someguy, i actually not a fan of the fish eye. Right now i have been shooting people, but before i was shooting landscape. I shoot everything depending on my mood.

13. The 150 is a great macro lens in my book, and there are many other satisfied users on this site. On a DX sensor, the 105 VR might be a good alternative.

The 12-24 is a landscape lens with a fixed aperture and a great reputation. A good choice, I believe. I'm not sure how it compares to the 10-24, the 2 mm at the wide end might make a difference.

Longer? The 300F4 is relatively affordable and has a good reputation!

I understand about the fisheye, don't worry. My wife says she does not like how I use it, and she does not say sorry ;-)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.