NR in 2020

Finally got around upgrading DxO PL to v4. I picked a particularly noisy image to test out the new "deep Prime" noise reduction. NR software has come a long way. Actually not so much in overall capability as in ease of use. A few years back I achieved some amazing results with NeatImage but it was extremely time consuming tweaking settings. The new "AI" generation of software is so much easier. Below is an image that was shot in low light, fog, and a 1.4x TC on a 200-400 VR. That lens was notoriously dark (relative to the claimed f4 max aperture) and so much more so with the TC.

Shot with Nikon D4, 200-400mm VR2 w/1.4xTC, tripod mounted

1) full rez best I could do in LR including NR/sharpening. To avoid enhancing the noise I had to crank up masking so sharpening only affected the edges.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Same LR lighting tweaks as no.1 above after running through DxO PL4 "deep Prime" NR. No sharpening applied. WB was also set in DxO so it looks slightly different. I should also mention that DxO didn't recognize the lens with the TC so didn't apply a profile correction. In my experience the NR seems to work better when there is a lens profile and definitely results are sharper with a profile. One annoying thing in DxO PL is that it won't let you manually select a camera/lens profile. If it doesn't recognize it and automatically assign a profile you can only make manual tweaks. On the 200-400 it makes a big difference with the profile gets applied.

3) Final image finished up in On1(2018 version).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom