1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NR in capture nx?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by scooptdoo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

Ive been using capture nx since december and im feeling very comfortable with it.This past month or so Ive really diving into the noise reduction along with the sharpening tools.in my modest experiance Id say the NR is extreamly effective.is very sensitive with only a few percent of moving slider seriously cuts the noise by 90 %.Working with the sharpening, usm and the high pass tools are most effective.
    my question is ive herd alot about noise ninja and stuff like that there.are they any better than my CAPTURE NX?

2. mikhailr

mikhailr Guest

I have been using Capture NX for several years and Capture NX2 for a month.
    On my opinion Noise Ninja does the job much more better than Capture NX/NX2

Mikhail.

3. Coop

Coop

Feb 9, 2006
    Holyoke, Mass.
    I've found that Neat Image does a much better job reducing noise than does NX. Much less destructive of sharpness.

4. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    The best way to apply NR in Capture NX is selectively. Use the selection brush to add/remove NR from areas of low/high detail, respectively.

Another trick I use is set the sharpeness slider to zero, but then use the opacity mixer to dial back on the luminance opacity. This lets detail come through while still eliminating color (chroma) noise.

-Jason

5. Nice! Did I miss this in your ebook? It seems I need to read a bit more closely. I have come to use NR selectively, but the luminance trick will be useful on noisy subjects where I want to keep detail.

6. cosilver

cosilver Guest

I use Noiseware, it's not expensive and does a great job at removing noise while maintaining the sharpness. Lots of features and options I haven't played with, as the defaults usually serve my purpose nicely. I haven't been that impressed with the noise reduction in NX, and I haven't tried it in NX2.

7. A related question to those who do NR in applications other than NX - what is your workflow WRT NR? I believe (from reading rather than experience) that NR is best performed *early* in the workflow, inside a raw converter like NX. Like capture sharpening, I see this as a preliminary cleaning of sensor artifacts, before getting down to serious editing/preparation.

I have been reluctant to treat the few images where noise is bothersome after conversion to a tiff, in Photoshop for this reason (I also use a Noiseware plugin, very effective for colour negatives).

I agree that on the few occasions noise is an issue (I have a D200, use iso 100-400) chroma is the bigger problem. TIA, Philip.

8. Same here.I switched from NeatImage to Noiseware Pro more than a year ago, because NI was very slow. Noiseware does a brilliant job at 3 times the speed than NI.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.