Number 2 of a montage series...

Real Name
Chris
ailhead.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taken with both the 180mm f/2.8 (at f/2.8) and the 24-120vr (f/8. ) Exaggerated curves and saturation for color and contrast. Parts overlayed with Photoshop's 'Photomerge' (the right part is a pano of 6 images, the left part is a single exposure with the zoom lens at 55mm.)

I don't know if this works at all, let me know what you think please.

The montage goes together well and the picture overall is quite good. I find myself studying it to try to determine what the full sign said (perhaps Railhead??) and it is intriging. Colors are well saturated and you even held most detail on the forhead. I am asking myself why you needed 6 images to make the right part, how big do you intend to blow this up. That image could have easily been taken with one and cropped to that size, especially since the left part is only one image. All in all it is a pleasing image and I would guess your subjects and others will like it.

Real Name
Chris
greyflash said:
I am asking myself why you needed 6 images to make the right part, how big do you intend to blow this up. That image could have easily been taken with one and cropped to that size, especially since the left part is only one image.

Hey Gordon, thanks!

The right side image was initially intended to stand on it's own as a life sized print made up of six individual prints (the subject is barely 5 feet tall.) It is incredibly detailed at 100%, (you can even count the threads in her thong. :shock: :D ) but it also has a lot of photomerge artifacts that are not so obvious at this small size (look near the car wheel.)

The colors matched the ailhead colors (at least to my eyes) so it got merged in. Thanks again for your analysis and encouragement!

Real Name
Chris
Jonathan said:
Man that 180mm f/2.8 is sharp! No wonder they call it the zoom killer. I might have to track that lens down when I get more funds.
The images from the 180 are the best I get. The focus speed, on the otherhand is the slowest of anything I've got except the 60. But you have an H so that should do better.

I prefer to say it Zoom Killa.

(PS Your blog is set to private so I can't read it. Sometimes I wish mine was like when my girlfriend asked "What are you doing taking pictures of Heather's thong?")

Real Name
Chris
PhotoDawg said:
I would have never guessed that was 6 images.

Hi Bryan, Here's a link to a 30% resize of the panorama part (the image is about a megabyte):

http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/photos/hampano(big).jpg

You can clearly see layer mismatch artifacts. I mostly ignore these. In painting they taught that people will purposely and subconsciously ignore imperfections in colorful pictures. That probably doesn't apply to forum denizen who are used to scrutinizing our own images, but downsizing will cure all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom